Seed Propagation methods

Byron Amerson
Fri, 06 Feb 2009 09:33:45 PST
Mark and others,

I am relatively new to cultivating geophytes in general, and completely new
trying them from seed.  Of the seed I've sown in the last month, I have been
in a sort of "go for it" mode.  The amaryllids leave one no choice of
course, but I also have a suite of NW and California native seeds,
plus *Babiana,
*and a few* Hyacinthacae *coming from South Africa.  I've been so eager to
see seedlings that I have been sowing now rather than waiting until autumn
as some guidance has suggested for the winter growers.

Mark your suggestion to sow now, and maintain dry conditions until autumn
sounds like a really intuitive approach and makes a certain kind of
plant-sense.  I think I'll give it a try on those seeds that are still in

But I guess my question is this:  Am I potentially throwing my money away on
seeds that I "go for it" with?  Is it really the best approach to hold off
sowing and watering (or at least watering applying Mark's suggestion) in
late winter as soon as I receive the seeds of those that are winter growers?

I live in San Rafael, CA  a maritime Mediterranean climate.


More information about the pbs mailing list