Rhodophiala bifida name - cross posting

Tony Avent Tony@plantdelights.com
Fri, 09 Dec 2011 08:37:09 PST

We're equally as curious, just about too many things at once.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com/
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent

-----Original Message-----
From: pbs-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:pbs-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of J.E. Shields
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 11:28 AM
To: Pacific Bulb Society
Subject: Re: [pbs] Rhodophiala bifida name - cross posting

Tony and all,

That is interesting.  Someone like Ben Zonneveld or Aart van Vorst's collaborator might look at the nuclear DNA weight of the various accessions and see how they compare.  I'll have to play with my diploid R. bifida and my "triploid" forms (also ex hort Texas) and see if I get seeds next year.

I had heard that the "triploid" was slightly fertile when crossed with diploids, but this might have meant just that the dips and triploids are each producing a few tetraploid ovules and pollen grains (unreduced gametes).  Now you are making me curious!

Jim S.

At 11:18 AM 12/9/2011 -0500, you wrote:
>I always heard the Rhodophiala 'Hill Country Red' was a triploid, but
>when we grow it beside wild collected seedlings, it becomes fertile.
>That leads me to believe that it is not a triploid, but I haven't had
>that confirmed.
>Tony Avent
>Plant Delights Nursery @
>Juniper Level Botanic Garden
>9241 Sauls Road
>Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
>Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
>Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
>USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
>email tony@plantdelights.com
>website  http://www.plantdelights.com/
>phone 919 772-4794
>fax  919 772-4752
>"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least
>three times" - Avent
>-----Original Message-----
>From: pbs-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
>On Behalf Of J.E. Shields
>Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 11:10 AM
>To: Pacific Bulb Society
>Subject: Re: [pbs] Rhodophiala bifida name - cross posting
>I assume the cv. 'Hill Country Red' is the triploid form.  Are any of
>the other clones or groups you showed also triploid?
>Jim Shields
>At 08:39 AM 12/9/2011 -0500, you wrote:
> >John:
> >
> >We will publish it in our catalog, and hope to also do a write-up in
> >one of the bulb journals as well.
> >Here is a link to a gallery of Rhodophiala bifida images for comparison.
> >http://gallery.plantdelights.com/Rhodophiala/
> >
> >
> >Tony Avent
> >Plant Delights Nursery @
> >....
>Jim Shields             USDA Zone 5
>P.O. Box 92              WWW:    http://www.shieldsgardens.com/
>Westfield, Indiana 46074, USA
>Lat. 40° 02.8' N, Long. 086° 06.6' W
>pbs mailing list
>pbs mailing list

Jim Shields             USDA Zone 5
P.O. Box 92              WWW:    http://www.shieldsgardens.com/
Westfield, Indiana 46074, USA
Lat. 40° 02.8' N, Long. 086° 06.6' W

More information about the pbs mailing list