off topic, bloom / flower / back yard

Peter Taggart
Sat, 08 Feb 2014 09:25:14 PST
In my vocabulary (a form of English from Britain), a 'bloom' describes an
individual flower such as might be mounted on a board or examined in order
to compare with blooms from other related plants. Blossom is a mass of
flowers. To me a 'yard' is either a measurement, or a utilitarian space
-"stable yard", "timber yard", "truck yard", "kennel yard". A "back yard"
to me is the space at the back of my house where I wash pots, mend the car,
chop logs..... The "garden" is an amenity space where I grow plants, or
children play on the lawn.... I would like to know the American English
term for a  utilitarian space such as the British 'back yard'.
Peter (UK)

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Tim Eck <> wrote:

> Subject: Re: [pbs] what's in bloom
> According to my Oxford English Dict., in this instance, flower would more
> correct, but there don't seem to be any hard and fast rules.  Anyway,
> there's always inflorescence to fall back on.
> And efflorescence for the other.

More information about the pbs mailing list