off topic, bloom / flower / back yard

Ellen Hornig
Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:00:31 PST
Well, Peter...there are more of us (who cannot understand your usages) than
there are of you (who cannot understand ours).  Rule, Britannia?

All in good humor (humour), of course -


On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Peter Taggart <>wrote:

> Yes Mike,
>  it is a fair representation, but every time somebody in the U.S. writes
> "back yard" I have a vision of rubbish bins and log piles!
> I was after getting people to think about their words meaning different
> things in other parts of the world. "Bloom" was the word which started the
> discussion. My use of it is much more specific than the general American.
> "Back yard" was a more provocative example.
> As an aside, I have a feeling that the word "garden" has something to do
> with "guard house", in the days of castles and fortified houses. It would,
> perhaps,have been the area between the inner and outer defended walls of a
> dwelling?
> In British English, the American term "yard" would probably translate as
> "curtilage". The word is more often used in legal circumstances though.
> Peter (UK)
> On 10 February 2014 18:28, Michael Mace <> wrote:
> > > But, please, what is the U.S.A. English term for the British back
> > yard????
> >
> > It occurs to me that in all of our essays on this subject (including
> mine),
> > we haven't decided what term should be used when trying to describe this
> > sort of space to an American.
> >
> > So, since there is no specific term in American English, what I recommend
> > is
> > that you use the generic phrase "work space."  As in, "that's my work
> > space,
> > where I chop wood and wash the car."
> >
> _______________________________________________
> pbs mailing list

Ellen Hornig
212 Grafton St
Shrewsbury MA 01545

More information about the pbs mailing list