off topic, bloom / flower / back yard

Michael Mace
Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:28:17 PST
> But, please, what is the U.S.A. English term for the British back yard????

It occurs to me that in all of our essays on this subject (including mine),
we haven't decided what term should be used when trying to describe this
sort of space to an American.

So, since there is no specific term in American English, what I recommend is
that you use the generic phrase "work space."  As in, "that's my work space,
where I chop wood and wash the car."  I think most Americans will understand
that as a non-decorative space devoted to utilitarian purposes, which is
what I think you're after.

Hope that helps,


More information about the pbs mailing list