off topic, bloom / flower / back yard

Nicholas Plummer
Sat, 08 Feb 2014 11:33:31 PST
I do not believe that there is an equivalent term or equivalent space.  Working on the car, washing pots, etc., would probably be done in the driveway or garage, both of which tend to be larger than the British equivalent.  Chopping wood is something I do in the woods adjacent to the back yard.


On Feb 8, 2014, at 2:06 PM, Peter Taggart <> wrote:

> But, please, what is the U.S.A. English term for the British back yard????
> I already know the meaning of the U.S.A. back yard!
> I also know the interchangeability of bloom and flower in U.S.A English. It
> is not the same in the English which I speak.
> :)
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM, penstemon <> wrote:
>> I would like to know the American English
>> term for a  utilitarian space such as the British 'back yard'.

More information about the pbs mailing list