Bulbs staying dormant

Diane Whitehead voltaire@islandnet.com
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:41:18 PDT
Dave McDonald of the Botanical Society of South Africa, who recently
gave a lecture tour in western North America, mentioned that some
gladiolus don't flower until there has been a fire.  Sometimes that
has been for 15 years.  I asked whether it was some chemical from the
smoke or ash that triggered flowering, but he said it was more likely
lack of competition that did it.  I didn't ask whether these
non-flowering gladiolus were putting up leaves every year.

So - are your pots of plants completely open to the sky, or are they
overshadowed?

--
Diane Whitehead  Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8