Amaryllis

Hans-Werner Hammen haweha@hotmail.com
Tue, 09 May 2006 04:57:59 PDT
This is probably red blotch (by Stagonospora curtisii)
I presume that these Hippeastrums had become infested with tarsonemid mites
(Steneotarsonemus laticeps, bulb scale mite) in the previous season. The
plants become very prone to the (opportunistic) fungal disease due to the
tissue damage caused by the mites.
The mite infection often spreads (slowly) from the outermost parts of the
bulb to more central parts, and then the damage becomes very obvious, if not
fatal (finally the bulb might turn into a black rotten pulp).
The affection BUT of the flower stalks NOW absolutely fits into this scheme.
Some images (close up) would be helpfull in order to exclude another other
pest/disease.

One single commercially grown hippeastrum bulb - COMMONLY infested with
these bulb scale mites (!) introduced into a collection of Knight star
lilies (as well as other receptible plants: More or less ALL amaryllids) -
is apt to finally destroy the entire collection. For good reason the impact
of this octopod critter is described extensively in Veronica's book
(Hippeastrum -The Gardener's Amnaryllis)

Accomplishing remedial actions BUT against the red blotch (red scorch) means
to set the wrong priority.

Hans-Werner