Need tulip experts to ID

Started by kisaac, April 18, 2023, 12:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kisaac

Greetings!
ID please!

This tulip has naturalized at my parents zone 7 USA garden, and it was already established in a bed when they bought the house 60 years ago.  While I've bought many tulips over the years, none has truly survived and thrived for decades like this one.

Any ID for it?  It blooms now (early-mid season- with the daffodils and apricots) and grows in clumps about 10"  tall.  It does produce viable seeds, but I'm not sure if it is reseeding or increasing by offsets. 

There is a red version, similar in every way except color....  blooming a week or two later.
I'll collect any seeds they make this spring and grow them out to start a bed of my own.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Ken

20230415_143637.jpg 
 20230415_143612.jpg .
20230415_143618.jpg
~Ken
Member: : Pacific Bulb Society

janemcgary

It looks like one of the commercial varieties known as Fosteriana hybrids. They are relatively short and stout and come in many color forms, including both pale and bright yellow. They're recommended for naturalizing. The longevity of your plants may reflect excellent placing and originally virus-free stock.

kisaac

Quote from: janemcgary on April 20, 2023, 11:00:23 AMIt looks like one of the commercial varieties known as Fosteriana hybrids.
Thank you, Jane.
I've been out with my paintbrush- hoping for more seed pods later this spring!
~Ken
Member: : Pacific Bulb Society