Snowdrops

Started by gordonhogenson, January 02, 2023, 09:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonhogenson

I love snowdrops, but I want the bloom season throughout the winter, rather than collecting distinct types. Currently, these Galanthus reginae-olgae from the PBS bulb exchange are blooming now. I don't know when they would bloom when they get into the ground (here in zone 7/8 near Seattle), but probably with a variety of species and accessions from the species, one could have an extended season of blooms, weather permitting.
snowdrops-Jan-2023.jpg

Martin Bohnet

I'd expect reginae-olgaes way earlier than "in between the years", though mine were also newly planted this season, they opened up in mid October, and we're in similar zones. Actually, with the current spell of warm weather the nivalis cultivars are already showing some white...
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Robin Hansen

I have an elwesii called Theresa Stone which has been blooming since late December. It's from a garden in Corvallis Oregon and does not set seed but is also the most reliable snowdrop I have here close to the coast of Oregon. Nor does it make a lot of offsets, to my dismay. I'm still not having much luck with other snowdrops and suspect they'd be happier planted which I will do this spring.
Robin Hansen
President, PBS