Nerine genetics

Started by Wylie, October 29, 2022, 06:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylie

I came to the Geophyte world through Daylilies. When you start the seeds from a single pod, they are considered to be genetically different from each other even if they look similar. So I am wondering if this also applies to seed propagated Nerines. In a bag of gift bulbs, I received many small immature bulbs that are now flowering for the first time and I am wondering how they should be treated when they look similar to each other. Example:
N 001.jpg and DSC_0400.jpg 
They look alike, but are not offsets on my end. Should I give each its own seperate ID number?

Uli

Hello Wylie,

A difficult question. Nerine seed can be apomictic which means that seed set happens without pollination and the offspring is identical to the seed bearing plant. But there must also be true non apomictic seed, otherwise it would not be possible to create hybrids which are definitely different from the seed bearing parent.
I have so far not found out how breeders make sure that they really have hybrid seed and not apomictic seed. 
The pictures you posted are slightly different in colour, is this because the camera software automatically adapts to different backgrounds? And thus produces different colours only technically?Maybe it compares better if you take a picture with both flowers side by side in front of a neutral background.
In case of doubt I would always consider them as two different entities. 
Hemerocallis does not produce apomictic seed as far as I know, so you cannot really compare with Nerine. 

Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate