Arisaema candidissimum

Started by Randy Linke, August 28, 2022, 10:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Linke

I grew Arisaema candidissimum in Seattle and they had the typical three lobed leaf.  This year, growing in Granada, Spain the plants I had in the US and new plants acquired from the EU exchange all grew with a single lobed leaf, as pictured.  They were shaded but even the shade here can be quite warm.  Is this something that would be related to growing temperature?  

Martin Bohnet

Hi Randy,

mine from the same exchange have these same leaves - but for now I'm not worried - I've seen different leaf shapes in young and mature Arisaemas before, e.g. in consanguineum which went from three-lobed to "star shaped" when growing older.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Uli

Yes, I entirely agree with Martin. I also have them from the same BX and I have the same leaf. Seedlings and plants growing from very small tubers have that kind of leaf. Once stronger they will have the typical ones. 
For you in Granada, you may experience the same phenomenon: my mature Arisaema candidissimum has flowered and leafed out in August, Arisaema consanguineum did so end July and a Typhonium species (do not  know off hand which one) believed dead has leafed out a few days ago. They are either confused with their growing rhythm or try to escape the worst of the summer heat. A. consanguineum seems quite happy and is self seeding.

I wish you good luck with your new home!

Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate