Moving In For the Winter

Started by Judy Glattstein, September 30, 2022, 11:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Glattstein

After end-of-summer drought we have now been getting rain. And as Ian travels up the coast I expect even more. The weather continues to be cooler than expected, even for the end of September. Day by day I am shuttling pots of geophytes either into the greenhouse or into the basement, depending.

So today it was mirabilis on the move. I chopped off their tops - still some leaves and also a few flowers. And wheeled them into the basement. Interestingly, the cool weather apparently affects color - the last few flowers on 'Orange Crush' are a rather attractive soft rosy pink.

Rhodophiala bifida and Zephyranthes candida, and xAmarcrinum too, into the greenhouse. Which is getting crowded.

Martin Bohnet

My trouble about getting things inside mostly isn't the frost, that's easy to monitor - for me trouble is the water level, as even the winter growers should be almost dry when moving to frost-free quarters...after lots of rain until yesterday, now there's 1 1/2 dry weeks ahead - at the end of that I will have to move a lot of pots.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)