Do you ever hate your garden?

Started by janemcgary, August 11, 2022, 01:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


After almost 40 years of bulbs in August, I do not love this. Out as early as I can, sifting sand and sorting bulbs until the heat is too much, pulling out the gravestones -- the labels put in ten years ago, when I made this raised bed -- is about 80% depressing. The other 20% is finding very good things still alive, and they are going into plunged pots so I don't risk losing track of them. I have big baskets of Spanish Narcissus and California themids, which I will try to palm off on innocent persons; they're through choking out everything but the Calochortus and Tulipa, which get down below them. My goal is half the "directly planted" half of the bulb house, a space 8x20 feet; the other half, which is mostly free of narcissus and themids, gets done next year if I survive. I just turned 75, and I would hate gardening a lot less if I could hire help. The problem is not the cost, but the fact that reliable, skilled (or teachable) garden assistants do not exist in this area. We have "landscapers" (guys with a pickup and some power tools) and "garden designers" (people who've read some books about it), but not the legendary "gardeners." Thanks for listening....

David Pilling

I was watching a documentary about Kew this week, and thinking I'd quite like to be one of the circa 20 year old students who labor there. Do they pay for the privilege.

Jane - I'd like to go to your bulb growing school, but you know, 8000 miles away etc.


Quote from: janemcgary on August 11, 2022, 01:30:57 PM"The problem is not the cost, but the fact that reliable, skilled (or teachable) garden assistants do not exist in this area"
Have you tried contacting  4-H or FFA chapters or a local magnet ag high school?


An employee at a small home-based cactus & succulent nursery I frequented years ago was a student in the horticultural program at a local community college.  Most campuses have a jobs office, where job listings can be posted.


Regarding high-school students, I find they get bored too easily and can't meet a schedule; also, there are liability insurance constraints about hiring somebody under 18. As for the community college, I have tried that, with no results, despite living in the county with the most nurseries of all US counties. Just 10 hours a week would help immensely, and he or she would not have to speak English, but would have to show up when planned. I'll keep trying.