Biarum dispar

Started by Randy Linke, June 10, 2022, 09:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Linke

I have two Biarum dispar that are just now coming into bloom, which from all I can tell is about three months early.  I live in Andalusia, Spain, which is in its native range.  They were unpotted while dormant last fall and repotted after about one month.  They have been growing in a pot with some other now dormant Mediterranean climate plants.  

Does anyone have experience with this blooming off-season?  It should be completely dormant now.

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Randy Linke on June 10, 2022, 09:21:11 AMI have two Biarum dispar that are just now coming into bloom, which from all I can tell is about three months early.  I live in Andalusia, Spain, which is in its native range.  They were unpotted while dormant last fall and repotted after about one month.  They have been growing in a pot with some other now dormant Mediterranean climate plants. 

Does anyone have experience with this blooming off-season?  It should be completely dormant now.
I have a few Biarum just coming into bloom now, just as the leaves are withering away. B. carduchorum and dispar, and ???

janemcgary

I'm puzzled about plants under the name Biarum dispar. When I saw it in nature, a botanist gave this name to a plant with a very large, broad spathe, flowering in October. Plants I've raised from seed under the name have much smaller spathes, but still rather broad. Robert's photo shows a narrow spathe such as I associate with Biarum carduchorum -- which does flower for me in midsummer. I don't have the monograph on this genus, but I've been told it is problematic.

Carlos

Hi, Randy, nice to read you, those are Biarum arundanum....
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Arnold

I have a Biarum that is attributed as dispar but flowering time is off as well.

Arnold T.
North East USA

Randy Linke

Quote from: Carlos on June 11, 2022, 03:30:46 AMHi, Randy, nice to read you, those are Biarum arundanum....
Thank you.  I thought the ID must be off.  I received it from BX 468 for anyone else looking for a proper iD.  

Randy Linke

Here is a very helpful site on Andalusian flora that I found. It also have a comparison of the floral spathes of the different biarums in the region.

https://www.florandalucia.es/index.php/biarum-arundanum