Time from flower to seed?

Started by Diane Whitehead, November 13, 2022, 04:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Whitehead

When I travelled south to California, I took photos of flowers and made detailed notes about where they were growing.  Then I would go again in two months to collect seeds.  It was often difficult to see them since surrounding plants had usually grown tall.

I wonder how long it takes for seeds to form in other places, like South Africa or Chile.  I don't plan to travel to collect any, but I'd like to know when to expect to be able to buy seeds.  It would be good to have this information on our wiki.

Just now I'm reading the new Saunders' gladiolus book.  Gladiolus flowering times vary widely.  Here are dates for a few:    mid-December to mid-January, February to April, between April and June, mornings only August to October, between  mid-October and early December.   etc.  

I guess I will have to check Silverhill every month.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

CG100

The Silverhill website has just been updated, in the last 2-3-4 days. It still runs dreadfully slowly, but at least the search options are useable, unlike the older website recently.

Anyway, if their new website operates similarly, out of stock items have a notification option, which emails you when the species is stocked again.

If you try Lifestyle (also in RSA), one option is to look at new additions.

As far as flower to seed goes, in the vast majority of plants that people here would consider, it can only ever be a very few months - the seed is usually ripened and dried by the following "dry season", which often/usually starts just weeks after flowering.