pretty flowers

Started by gastil, March 24, 2021, 07:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Bohnet

ok, it works when I modify your post. Apple hardware is not that rare that I big forum like SMF would not test for it, so I'd guess it's a problem with your browser preferences - do you have Java script blocked by default?
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

gastil

Another test. I will click my Sparaxis id=0 now. Nothing happened.
Javascript is enabled. I am using Chrome. When I do "inspect" to see the underlying page code, it shows that the attachment-related links do point to javascript. I will attach a screenshot of "Inspect" as the fourth attachment to this post. (After clearing the marmalade recipe that I was going to post for David's amusement, which, btw, never did gel.)

Now, manually typing in the markup to put the 4th attachment inline:
Well I typed that in but then when I clicked the Toggle View icon (sqbrkt-arrow-sqbrkt) that erased what I had typed, (expletive redacted).
I will try clicking the "(Insert Attachment 3)" link again now... [attach id=3 msg=106]
Ah hah - and now it magically DOES insert. I am convinced this smf has a random function to turn things on and off and that Users are rats in a maze being tested for their tenacity. I dare not click Preview for fear it will delete the markup.
I neglect my garden on the central coast of California

Martin Bohnet

strange, it seems your browser is the only one behaving as erratic, just like with that top-and-bottom thing (wait, that sounds...never mind). Though I don't understand how the browser could change the message order unless that's done via CSS.

Marmalade - well that could the only possible good aspect of brexit - maybe we finally get back Kirschmarmelade. In German, Marmelade was used to describe any fruit & sugar & pectin cook-up. And since the British limited the word to citrus species, we're forced to call it "Konfitüre" officially. Don't get me wrong, I love orange marmalade. I just don't like the EU-forced exclusivity of the word. By the way, I once cooked pineapple&orange peel -insert word here- would that still qualify for british marmalade?

gastil

Marmalade ONLY refers to citrus peel in thickened sugar syrup. Any other use of the word is semantic dilution. (I was raised by a parent who told me never to correct people, unless it was for English usage or grammar.)  ::)

Martin Bohnet

Quote from: gastil on March 27, 2021, 12:57:10 PM
Marmalade ONLY refers to citrus peel in thickened sugar syrup. Any other use of the word is semantic dilution. (I was raised by a parent who told me never to correct people, unless it was for English usage or grammar.)  ::)

well. ask aunt wiki, she'll tell you that a) it was historically also used for other fruit preserves even in English and b) the word originates from the Spanish word for Cydonia oblonga which I regularly use to make variations in, yes, Marmelade. Figs&quince is exeptionally delicious. Last fall I even made quince&Passion fruit, as my passiflora incarnata finally got at least nearly ripe. my second plant is a bit in the shadow, and i need both in flower to set fruit....

gastil

I stand corrected, as I was wrong. There's a first for everything.

David Pilling

Wikipedia says marmalade comes from Portuguese for quince. Interesting discussion. Things I never knew. Hard to believe you could have orange marmalade that did not set - usually lots of pectin about. Maybe we could debate the meaning of jelly/jello/jam.

Martin Bohnet

While this thread is getting sweet and sticky, we still have to solve the mystery of gastils erratic browser - that shouldn't happen for a big forum software that is in productive stage for such a long time. Let's have everyone post their browsers - I've been here on several instances of firefox on different computers. I'm still hesitant to try edge, it's usually the second thing I ban on a forced windows update - the first being cortana.

Meanwhile I see this forum software is a quick method to generate wiki-sized photos. Useful:
[attach id=1 msg=118]
I'll post Iris aucheri 'Olof' on the wiki soon - there's only one picture up to now...

[attach id=0 msg=118]
I have a soft spot for the more subtle colors of spring - most people won't even notice Fritillaria sewerzowii

David Pilling

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on March 27, 2021, 08:38:40 PM
Let's have everyone post their browsers

Chrome on Windows 10, and Chrome on Ubuntu.

I have a Mac I could try on that.

gastil

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on March 27, 2021, 08:38:40 PM
While this thread is getting sweet and sticky,... people won't even notice Fritillaria sewerzowii
I love the green hue background. I might suggest tweeking the purple of the Home button and our usernames. On the crocus logo it looks darker, perhaps because of the black outline there. If the purple in the Change Color menu is the only purple, that's fine as-is.
Maybe F. sewerzowii has adapted to human predation to hide its blooms like that other one recently published.
Chrome Version 89.0.4389.90 on Mac OS X 10.14.16.
I just now opened this same post in Safari and see that it would allow me to concurrently edit the same post in two browsers. I wouldn't, but that is interesting.

Update: on a different screen the purple looks just fine as-is. So, it was my monitor, not the choice of rgb.

David Pilling

So I tried living my life on my phone. Mired in a sea of missing passwords. Eventually I got to posting to this forum, to upload files I was told I needed an upgrade, and Google/Android update told me the phone was no longer supported. Which was fine since I was going to stamp on the phone and throw it away anyway.

We went to the vaccination centre today, and I saw these blue primroses.

I've been told there is a devil set aside for anyone who posts shrub photos to the PBS, so there's a Forsythia to conclude with.

Wait there's more, having painstakingly typed all this in and selected the photos, post resulted in a new message screen and no post. Seems this was about the time Gastil posted.

Won't get fooled again, I'll copy my text before posting.

Yep, it happened again. Chucks away the post. I'll now post without the photos.

David Pilling

Photos

David Pilling

photos

gastil

These photos download when I click on them. I was expecting them to show larger when I clicked on the thumbnail, like in the wiki.
Sorry if my posting messed with your posting. I would not have expected that kind of concurrency issues for a forum that expects thousands of users.
Can I "Report to moderator" for shrub photos?
Half joking. I actually want to test that feature. I'll moderate one of my own posts so if anyone gets blacklisted it will be me.
I am going to experiment with putting one of the primrose photos inline here...
[attach id=0 msg=127]
Well that does not show up (at least not in preview) when I do (attach id=0 msg=127) but with square brackets not parenthesis.[/attach]

Update: This is weird. My post robbed David's post when I attached his primrose photos to my post.

David Pilling

Yes the photos are still downloading instead of expanding.

You're thinking, old bloke, anger management issues, flip phone. The phone is actually six years old. Didn't seem that old, but CoVid has passed another year by.

I tried my photoswipe pages, and photoswipe did not load. Phone too old.

Getting the red mist out of the way, I am saying that four photos, and small ones (it's an old phone) won't upload, and if you try there is some sort of crash. Possibly I could look in the PHP error log.