pretty flowers

Started by gastil, March 24, 2021, 07:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Whitehead

I'm using Safari.

Photos were enlarging a couple of days ago and only downloaded if I clicked the paper clip.  Now they download instead of enlarging.

Here is Coelogyne cristata, blooming in my front hall to entertain  visitors.  I break off a branch of flowers for them to take home.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Martin Bohnet

@David: I had these crashes too from time to time, and I guess it's a timeout problem, because I only had them with big files and you've already removed the size limit. Another possible culprit could be the limit on memory for the scaling process.

@Diane: That's a known issue. The mod that allows us to use the pictures in the Text with the attach id=0-3 somehow stops them from using the thumbnail->expand behavior when below the post. the Link to the right of the file in the Attachment menu generates the embedding code on click, as long as you're not Gastil -> that's another problem we're investigating.

[attach id=0 msg=131]
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

David Pilling

Martin - good ideas. It reminded me that there are commands to set the max amount of core for PHP to use. At one time we had that in a .htaccess file. Seems to not be there now, at least in the main one.

Martin Bohnet

I consider this lèse-majesté:
[attach id=0 msg=155] 

Hmm - more big files at once still gets me crashed.. I've allowed for both more atachment folder space and computing memory, no effect.

[attach id=1 msg=155]

David Pilling

Hi Martin, thing would be do a crash and look at the Apache/PHP log file to see what happened. You can look now, but best if you know the time when the crash happened.

Martin Bohnet

those logs in /var/log/apache2 ? belong to root admin, I can't open them. The cash happened around the time of that frozen crown imperial post

David Pilling

OK, I feared they might. Those logs are not easy for me to access either - I often end up setting them to 777 permissions. I will try to look later...

David Pilling

Looking at the log files is good fun - probly there are some bugs I should fix. But most of the contents are driven by hackers - every few seconds someone tries to log in to our word press installation. Anyway I found this:

[Wed Apr 07 18:11:10.611501 2021] [php7:warn] [pid 24519] [client 95.222.28.145:14703] PHP Warning:  POST Content-Length of 14394519 bytes exceeds the limit of 8388608 bytes in Unknown on line 0, referer: https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/smf/index.php?action=post;topic=11.30;last_msg=133
[Wed Apr 07 18:17:33.315059 2021] [php7:warn] [pid 24519] [client 95.222.28.145:14687] PHP Warning:  POST Content-Length of 14394539 bytes exceeds the limit of 8388608 bytes in Unknown on line 0, referer: https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/smf/index.php?action=post;topic=11.30;last_msg=133

David Pilling

In /etc/apache2/php/7.2/php.ini

upload_max_filesize was 32M

post_max_size was 8M

I have changed post_max_size to 32M and rebooted Apache.

David Pilling

As I say (usually about the mail list), somewhere in the system there is a max size for photos. However much people may not know or want to know about it. I am looking at a new phone, cheap and cheerful, 48Mpix camera.

Anyway there are some interesting config options for SMF - lets you set a max upload size - which has to be more graceful than the thing dumping everything with no explanation.

The two lots of options PHP and SMF have to be compatible. Interesting that we have not hit this limit with the wiki - but I never use image upload with that.

I also observe SMF seems to be set to 40MB for all uploads combined, which we will hit soon.

This is where the options are:

https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/smf/index.php?action=admin;area=manageattachments;sa=attachments;f07ce3d5=e90132d436856ffb487d9f29075ac297

Martin Bohnet

Quote from: DavidPilling on April 09, 2021, 05:55:07 AM

I also observe SMF seems to be set to 40MB for all uploads combined, which we will hit soon.

I've already raised it to that point, from 10 mb in the basic config. but that's one of the reasons why I forced the drastic reduction - 1024px on larger side with  75% JPG Quality will give us lots of air to breathe... So lets check the new limits
[attach id=0 msg=162]
Jeffersonia

[attach id=1 msg=162]
late easter greeting

[attach id=2 msg=162]
somewhat a mystery bulb - Leucocoryne alliacea?

[attach id=3 msg=162]
one of my beloved green monsters

Edit: Works! that was about 25 mb as upload and about 430 kb on disk. OK, Yes, we need to increase the overall limit, or we'll hit it with less than 100 4 pic posts

Diane Whitehead

If that is Leucocoryne alliacea, I would love some seeds.

I've been trying for years to get some, to cross with my other species and produce hybrids that will be hardy outside here.

Chileflora never has seeds, and the message is always the same: These seeds are generally restocked in: January      This item is temporarily out of stock.. 

Obviously not true, since I've been looking frequently.

Two years ago I managed to buy some from rareplants.eu, apparently supplied from Chileflora, but they have not germinated, so were probably ancient.
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

David Pilling

Observations on downloading images - from new posts everything seems to download. From forum boards only attachments at the end. Over at the SRGC forum many photos open in a new window. This makes me wonder if somewhere, like Apache config, I should be setting things up to display rather than download.

My other idea  is that javascript for thumbnails is not being set up -  seemingly when the script for inline thumbnails was added things changed.

For thumbnails in new posts, it is definitely the case that .js is not being set up.

On the SRGC forum I found one page where one photo (end of message thumb) opened in the browser window as a new page (back button returned to forum page), and the other photos appeared in a new browser window (but a browser window with no tools bars etc). Comparing the URLs I could see no difference.

I'm still not really involved here - Photoswipe is finished. I have successfully fed Lauw's book through Google translate - I am now stuck with reformatting all the pages.

Martin Bohnet

Quote from: Diane Whitehead on April 10, 2021, 05:27:29 PM
If that is Leucocoryne alliacea, I would love some seeds.

I've been trying for years to get some, to cross with my other species and produce hybrids that will be hardy outside here.

Chileflora never has seeds, and the message is always the same: These seeds are generally restocked in: January      This item is temporarily out of stock.. 

Obviously not true, since I've been looking frequently.

Two years ago I managed to buy some from rareplants.eu, apparently supplied from Chileflora, but they have not germinated, so were probably ancient.

we'll see, leucocoryns don't seem to like me, and this is a single bulb ( as always with rareplants.co.uk, Paul's prices are massive, even for an automotive engineer  . So if I get seeds they will be too few for the exchange anyway - I#ll keep you in mind.

Diane Whitehead

Thank you, Martin.

Though pollen would be good, too,