Garden Pests--Mammals

Started by ksayce, April 30, 2022, 10:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyclanthera

Quote from: Judy Glattstein on June 30, 2023, 07:26:40 PMShould I ever buy a lottery ticket and win some sizeable sum of money I will fund research not on deer repellents but on deer attractants. lLet them learn to dine on multiflora roses, Japanese honeysuckle. And poison ivy.

When I lived with goats, we discovered that their milk was quite sweet when they foraged on poison oak. 

MarcR

Quote from: Cyclanthera on July 30, 2023, 10:46:19 AM
Quote from: Judy Glattstein on June 30, 2023, 07:26:40 PMShould I ever buy a lottery ticket and win some sizeable sum of money I will fund research not on deer repellents but on deer attractants. lLet them learn to dine on multiflora roses, Japanese honeysuckle. And poison ivy.

When I lived with goats, we discovered that their milk was quite sweet when they foraged on poison oak.
Cyclanthra,

Both Poison Ivy and Poison Oak are Sumacs [Anacardiaceae] hence closely related to the Cashew and Pistachio. Goats are usually immune to the allergens that effect us humans.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.