Separate headindgs for popular bulb families.

Started by MarcR, May 01, 2022, 09:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcR

I was thinking that it might encourage discussion and showing off one's treasures to have separate headings for popular bulb families i.e. Iridaceae, Amarylidaceae, Ranunculaceae, etc.

It seems to be well used on the SRGC forum.

Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

jshields

Quote from: MarcR on May 01, 2022, 09:32:58 AMI was thinking that it might encourage discussion and showing off one's treasures to have separate headings for popular bulb families i.e. Iridaceae, Amarylidaceae, Ranunculaceae, etc.

It seems to be well used on the SRGC forum.

I feel the same way as Marc, again based on my experiences with the SRGC Forum.

Jim
Westfield, Indiana, USA
USDA Zone 5
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/index.html

kisaac

I also agree with @MarcR that separate forums for plant families or groups would fit my needs better.  I also expected to see that from day one, but I realize it probably takes interest in a certain family, to warrant setting that up.  But, how do you build that, without any forum to judge any interests?  Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
I'd love to see a clivia forum, (as Jim might!) but to be really helpful, it needs to be frequented by the @jshields and others  who have Clivia experience, topics and interests.  For example, a few months ago somebody posted an email about a clivia group looking for a home for their discussions- maybe PBS could search them out again and welcome them here, with a dedicated clivia forum?
So, my question; How does the new PBS Forum get to the place the SRGC forum (or garden.org, as a other example) is at now?
Ken
~Ken
Member: : Pacific Bulb Society

David Pilling

Terminology, on this forum, there are boards, and boards have topics. I was in favour of just one board, to replicate the existing list. A feature of the list is that everyone gets to see everything. If we set up a snowdrop board then the gallanthophiles will read it and nothing else.

I've seen other forums where there are many different areas, and not enough viewers for them, plus the problem of people knowing where to put stuff.

SRGC forum has been around for a long time, 20 years(?), and it has been well run for that time, that's all we have to do...

If anyone wants to set up a Clivia (or whatever) board then I don't think there will be any objection. People can also offer to moderate "their" board.

If you came along and said here are 100 genera and we want a board for each of them, then probably the answer would be no.

MarcR

I don't think that  topic headings for special interests will discourage reading other areas of the forum. It doesn't happen on the SRGC forum.  In fact many members post to multiple special headings as well as to the general areas. That would likely be the case with me.
The special interest headings make it easier to tie content from multiple threads on various aspects of as subject together coherently.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

Martin Bohnet

Quote from: David Pilling on May 03, 2022, 04:00:55 AMI was in favour of just one board, to replicate the existing list.

I was somewhere on the other end of the spectrum, I like more structure, and I'm not sure if Galanthophiles would be able to keep their blinkers on for long - we're all plant hoarders, aren't we. One of the group recently told me he ordered a book on carnivores - and keeps the plastic wrapping on it not to open another field of collectibles...

As you all see, we went for a middle ground in between both, with the option to optimize towards one system or the other.

Quote from: kisaac on May 02, 2022, 10:16:12 PMWhich came first, the chicken or the egg?

The egg, because dinosaurs had then also. jokes aside, I know what you mean, but the "right" granularity would be difficult. Tribus Galantheae  or even Species Clivia would be extreme in my opinion. So Amaryllidaceae? Sensu stricto or sensu lato with Alliums  and Agapanthus? My personal needs could be orders but I am aware that may people are not even aware of them - especially wild things like modern Malphigiales, or giants like Asparagales or Asterales. Just looking at the wiki's families page makes some people feel dizzy.

I'm still on the faction that says "let's wait what surfaces as the Forum gets established" - we're just in week 2 after all.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

MarcR

I like the forum as it is.  I'm not going anywhere. I'd still like to improve it!
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA