May 2022

Started by KenP, May 06, 2022, 08:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenP

Rosemary has lovely flowers and my Boophone flowers may have opened if it was sunny in nj. Need to wait till Sunday.

Martin Bohnet

oh, come what May...

Remember the color changer tulips I was disappointed with: I was too impatient, now they're almost pink.

May started with Moraeas for me - Moraea ochroleuca
, orange form, which has survived 2 winters in the open ground but is diminishing there, while growing strong in frost-free hibernation. The second one is Moraea sisirynchium which I not yet have tried outside.

LAst one is to show off my love for green flowers - Caulophyllum robustum in this case. The only Asian in an otherwise north American genus.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

David Pilling

England May 7th 2022. The unkept bits are full of bluebells and wild garlic. Supposedly bluebells were going to vanish, but this year there are more than ever - possibly they are the wrong sort of bluebell - but they're all over the place. Photos 3,4 and 6 are garden plants.

Once upon a time I got some peoney seed from seed ex surplus. After 10 years it has flowered. Photos 1 and 2.

Photo 5, the last tulip to flower.

Martin Bohnet

So you've lifted the 4 pictures limit.. OK, I'm fine with that... But some of your Images could do with a little light - or little level correction.

Last Tulip of the year for me is always Black Parrot - while still no accurate color description it is far more relatable than David's Blue Parrot. To stay in the same color family, I'll have to play out Fritillaria camschatcensis

Something happened with my Cypripediums last year, not exactly what, and I've lost a few - luckily, Cypripedium 'Barry Phillips'
Height: 30-45 cm (1-1.5 ft)
Flower Colors: yellow, green
Flower Season: late spring to early summer
Climate: USDA Zone 5-8
came back. But orchids can even do more bizarre as this Pterostylis hybrid shows - but of course this one needs a frost free (but wet) winter.

Scilla peruviana
may appeal to more conservative tastes, but is still nothing people would expect in a German garden - these are hardy now for 4 years and of course dwarf this still quite huge specimen of Muscari comosum
. To add a third one from the Scilloideae, here's Hyacinthoides non-scripta
'alba bracteata' - I don't believe that name addition is really botanically relevant, sounds a lot like garden center Latin to me.

Diane Whitehead

The muscari is lovely.  It reminds me of the wreaths of flowers that Swedish girls wear, though I can't remember on what special occasion they do so.

Are those unopened buds in the middle that will open later?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Martin Bohnet

The muscari is the stalk behind those 3 - I've returned it to Muscari, it seems Leopoldia is currently once more out of fashion. The three spectacular rings (and yes, the buds inside will open up) is Scilla peruviana
. but actually with the closed cone in the center it's the most spectacular look of the species.

David Pilling

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on May 09, 2022, 08:57:17 AMSo you've lifted the 4 pictures limit.. OK, I'm fine with that... But some of your Images could do with a little light
I've set the limit to 12 pictures. Perhaps that is a little high. I didn't like being told I'd uploaded 1.7MB of 32MB and had reached the limit. I didn't want to post two messages.
Yes the photos are too dark - I couldn't be bothered - I've since had a go at processing the bluebells and edited the post, this revealed the camera settings are wrong - ISO is far too high.

KenP

Boophone disticha in near full bloom. Also a Sinningia leucotrica in a 8" pot.

Arnold

Flowering today.
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

England May 14th 2022. Weed of the week, Meconopsis Cambrica (yellow) and var. aurantiaca (orange) - everywhere is a sea of these. Purple blue bells. Allium sphaerocephalon
, Polygonatum × hybridum(Solomon's seal).

Martin Bohnet

love those poppies, I'd allow them to go weedy on me, I'd guess.

So much happening in the garden in May - let's Start with 2 Moraeas: Moraea vegeta
and Moraea simulans
. Staying with the Iris Family, here's Freesia verrucosa

Always the first Ginger is this one - all other Roscoeas are barely waking up in pots or are still invisible in the garden, that one potted plant is in full flower. Not quite sure about the ID, I'd go for purple form of Roscoea cautleyoides
Meanwhile the pale form of Scilla peruviana
opened up - I do prefer the dark blues. Next one is Muscari mirum - and my faillure to have a black background. The flower would fade to the Aubretia around it completelly, so I tried black paper in full sun - does not work.

Let's finish with an orchid: a Thelymitra megacalyptrata? I'm not completely sure about the species

David Pilling

Roscoe are a good thing - I grew mine from seed, they have proved low maintenance and long lasting.

janemcgary

David Pilling's photo of a hybrid Paeonia shows a remarkably good form. I assume it's a cross between P. delavayi and P. lutea. I've grown and seen a number of these hybrids, but never one with such striking color zones.

David Pilling

Iris 18th May 2022, Blackpool, North West England.

Rick R.

Triosteum pinnatiidum
Just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. USDA Zone 4b