Ranunculaceae

Started by MarcR, May 06, 2022, 06:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcR

Until recently i was led to believe that the entire family had rhizomes.  I was recently informed that some Delphiniums did not.  Could someone knowledgeable elaborate on the subject?
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

Martin Bohnet

Oh, the good old question "when is a rootstock a rhizome". As for Ranunculaceae, you can surely exclude the annuals ( Tribus Nigelleae, Genus Consolida). Several of the true Ranunculus, especially the weedy ones don't go past "fibrous roots", and several species are evergreen with a often huge taproot, e.g. Aquilegia, most Thalictrum and several of the Delphiniums - i'm always unsure if I should include D. semibarbatum in the wiki, I've seen it being called rhizomatous. I have no idea of monkshoods, because a poison permeable through skin is my personal Rubicon I won't cross.

so in short: it is complicated. ::)
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

MarcR

Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

MarcR

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on May 06, 2022, 08:58:09 PMOh, the good old question "when is a rootstock a rhizome". As for Ranunculaceae, you can surely exclude the annuals ( Tribus Nigelleae, Genus Consolida). Several of the true Ranunculus, especially the weedy ones don't go past "fibrous roots", and several species are evergreen with a often huge taproot, e.g. Aquilegia, most Thalictrum and several of the Delphiniums - i'm always unsure if I should include D. semibarbatum in the wiki, I've seen it being called rhizomatous. I have no idea of monkshoods, because a poison permeable through skin is my personal Rubicon I won't cross.

so in short: it is complicated. ::)
I often find Aquilegias with the 'taproot' growing laterally instead of vertically, even in deep loose soil.
This caused me to mistake the taproot for a rhizome.

Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA