{solved] Species epithet to Lachenalia?

Started by Wun_Ho, August 09, 2022, 03:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wun_Ho

I'm writing from Victoria, Australia — I need help putting a species name to a Lachenalia I spotted in a local reserve.

The site (Lat/Lon -37.453 145.089) falls under climatic zone 6, and received a dusting of frost that morning; the plant did not seem worse for it.
Strangely, the online Flora of Victoria does not have any entry on the genus, so I wasn't able to key it.
On the photos, the punnet is 10 cm high as a guide.
Thanks for your help in identifying this.

Cheers,
Wun Ho
Victoria, Australia
Lachenalia sp. (side).jpgLachenalia sp (top).jpg

Fermi

Hi Wun Ho,
this looks like Lachenalia aloides. It's a South African species and would be a "garden escapee" which is why it is not listed in the Flora of Victoria,
cheers
fermi

Michael Mace

I think it might also be L. bulbifera. It'll be easier to judge when the flowers are fully open.

Michael Mace

On second thought, L. bulbifera should bloom earlier in the year. So maybe it is aloides.

Wun_Ho

Thank you @Michael Mace and @Fermi. I agree it would be either L. aloides or L. bulbifera, with a greater chance that it is L. aloides. 

I looked up both species on the Atlas of Living Australia (ala.org.au). There is one record of L. bulbifera (1965) in Victoria, compared to 14 records of L. aloides. Interestingly, the closest record of L. aloides to my sighting was made in 2013 about 10 km away. 

Yes, it is likely to be a "garden escapee." I did not mention in my first post that the Lachenalia was growing among a clump of Watsonia meriana var. bulbillifera in the conservation reserve, and it was clear that the watsonia was invading the  reserve from a neighbouring property. 

I will keep an eye on the plant, and repost a photo when it is in flower.

Wun_Ho

I had permission to remove the mystery Lachenalia from the public reserve. It has started flowering, and is beginning to resemble L. aloides rather than L. bulbifera visually.