[solved]Tropaeolum - hybrid or species?

Started by Martin Bohnet, April 03, 2021, 08:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Bohnet

[attach id=0 msg=137]

is it just me or is this one half way between brachyceras and tricolor? Came in last fall from Lauw's final sale at Bulb'Argance. I bought both species, and brachyceras has slightly larger petals, more of a pattern on the inside and less color on the backside... I have no other species flowering for now - does this fall in the scape of a pale tricolor? my growing conditions may not be ideal in Germany...
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Uli

To me it looks like a hybrid. If Lauw has raised it from seed and if he has grown both species it is likely to be a hybrid.
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

Martin Bohnet

thanks for your opinion. Actually, it was the only tricolor-ish i had in flower, the other flowering Tropaeolum in the pot was pentaphyllum, so I'm still open in my judgement. paler flowers out of proportion could still be a lack of sun. could.

If you wonder about the strange tag in the post, this was one of the plugins we tested but finally disabeled, since it had an unfortunate side-effect.But on the other hand, you see one good thing about the forum techology - in a normally frequented forum,this question would be somewhere on the first or second page of threads in the Mystery Bulb Subforum in that timeframe - on the mailing list it would have been gone since a few hundred mails, so no one would have a chance to find it - or to have an idea if someone had answered in the time being. Forum means structure. To me, at least.

Martin Bohnet

So, this year I've got the true Tropaeolum tricolor
in flower, and more flowers on the thing that is now clearly a hybrid. I've also uploaded a last year Tropaeolum brachyceras
image - they don't flower this year, I hope they still made it.