A diversity of geophytes (with bonus aroids)

Started by Robert_Parks, July 15, 2022, 12:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_Parks

A few things from the San Francisco cloud forest (the ground under trees stays moist from fog catching). Everything but the A. ongsakulii is outside (the greenhouse is only wind/fog protection, and things move in and out). The aroids tend to run slow getting their leaves up in the cool tropical conditions (temps this week 65/50F 20/10C). Lost a daisy tree to the wind (Sonchus palmensis), 3 giant flower heads (30"/75cm across) were enough of a sail even though it was staked. Oca (Oxalis tuberosus) is growing like it wants to take over the entire back yard before the equinox.

1 - NOT Arisaema consanguineum! Maybe a Remusatia?
2 - Ulluco (Ullucus tuberosus), one of the Andean tubers
3 - Begonia boliviensis Santa Cruz Sunset, with a small wild clone behind
4 - Roscoea auriculata Early Blooming...going on 2 months of blooming
5 - Bomarea ?hirsuta?...sending up a flowering stem every month, after the winter rush...still waiting on the seed pods to mature
6 - Tritileia hyacintha; laxa, Zephyrantes, Brodiea pallida...B. pallida actually bloomed this year, we had a gap in the fog so the scape didn't turn into mush
7 - Rhodohypoxis baurii hybrids...dragging it out, months of blooming
8 - Bomarea sp. Small Red...when you put a batch of seedling pots on the ground and fail to get around to repotting and distribution...and they just don't go dormant for me...some day there will be a shovel and crying.
9 - Pinellia?...I don't have my list with me, as annoying as it may be elsewhere, it is a handsome leaf and a sleek flower
10 - Amorphophallus ongsakulii...the cutest of the cute!
11 - Amorphophallus NOT bulbifer...3 years from a dessicated tuber (2-3 years dry storage), with me, 1 year roots only to rehydrate, 1 year of vigorous leaf, and now a bud...I guess I get to find out what is it!
12 - Amorphophallus konjac Shattered Glass...with a particularly well mixed variegation this year, another one is behind, that one seems to have minimal variegation this year

Martin Bohnet

VERY interesting collection - I've added your Ullucus tuberosus
image to the wiki - turns out we only had tuber pictures before.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on July 16, 2022, 10:11:02 AMVERY interesting collection - I've added your Ullucus tuberosus
image to the wiki - turns out we only had tuber pictures before.
Not pictured are the Amaryllis belladonna
planted in the devil strip/median. This is most of the current geophyte blooming, lacking similar plants, and a scattering of Oxalis...and indoor Typhoniums.

I really should look at the wiki, I know I have a lots of pictures that might fill in holes.

Diane Whitehead

There are only a few dead Roscoea flowers,   so each flower must stay in bloom for a long time.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Martin Bohnet

Quote from: Diane Whitehead on July 16, 2022, 05:37:58 PMThere are only a few dead Roscoea flowers,  so each flower must stay in bloom for a long time.

They don't, usually. I interpret Robert's sentence as: Roscoea at the beginning of the flowering period, will go on for 2 months. Of course I might be wrong and they only wither so fast for me in my continental climate. They're definitely not fond of my regular 30°C+ these days...
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

David Pilling

I'd say each Roscoea flower does not last long. Maybe if you have a number of varieties the blooming period can be extended - can say the same with daffodils. I'd bet on an individual  daffodil flower to last longer than a Roscoea flower. Cool would help extend things of course.

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on July 17, 2022, 04:54:35 AM
Quote from: Diane Whitehead on July 16, 2022, 05:37:58 PMThere are only a few dead Roscoea flowers,  so each flower must stay in bloom for a long time.

They don't, usually. I interpret Robert's sentence as: Roscoea at the beginning of the flowering period, will go on for 2 months. Of course I might be wrong and they only wither so fast for me in my continental climate. They're definitely not fond of my regular 30°C+ these days...
Each flower lasts several days, blooming in succession, with usually a day or so of overlap between flowers in each inflorescence. When the flowers wither fully, I clean them off before they go moldy in the fog...the first blooms were around the end of May. Daytime highs of 15-20C/60-70F definitely keep the clock running slow for these flowers.