August photos

Started by Arnold, August 03, 2022, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Here's Stenomesson variegatum  Also known as Clinanthus vareigatum.

I noticed at the base of the  stamens which are fused into a ring with  green projections.  Beyond my knowledge of flower morphology.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Wylie

I haven't had too much luck starting Hedychiums from seed that I purchased, so I mixed two of the species I had and got a nice strong color. I used Hedychium rubrum x Hedychium gardneranum. The H.gardneranum is considered a weed in the Azores.Hedychium rubrum x Hedychium gardneranum (3).jpg Hedychium rubrum x Hedychium gardneranum (2).jpg

Martin Bohnet

Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Martin Bohnet

Still hot here, but "only" around 32°C and very, very dry - seems southern Germany's drifting towards Mediterranean climate Not much flowering right now but at least there are 2 EX plants and one messenger:

Bowiea volubilis
EX02_110 deals well with full sun, but of course the flowers aren't that spectacular. Meanwhile the Ennealophus fimbriatus EX04_032 once again is Ennealophus euryandrus
, although a bit bigger and darker than my common form. Actually I'm surprised it flowers in the first year (though the species often does), because it was very slow to germinate - took about 6 weeks IIRC.

Now on to the bad news: yes, that's Colchicum x agrippinum. After Acis autumnalis
Height: 10-20 cm (3.9-7.9 inch)
Flower Colors: white, pink
Flower Season: early autumn
Life form:  bulb
and Prospero autumnale
, that's the third strike for the summer...

Martin Bohnet

seems we're finally calming down temperature wise and get a little bit of rain and a few flowers: Starting with the green Kniphofia I sent to the EX  this spring which was sold to me as Kniphofia citrina
Height: 45-60 cm (1.5-2 ft)
Flower Colors: yellow
Flower Season: mid autumn
- I'd say  at least it's none of the typical early summer uvaria-ish garden center hybrids as it is always flowering in the last third of summer.
Next one is actually a few days old, A Boophone disticha
I had for some years and premiered this year, probably because I offered her some dry rest during the worst heatwave.
Speakin about something possibly mis-labeled: this so called Gladiolus papilio
Flower Colors: white, purple
Climate: summer rain climate
'David Hill", one of my last Brexit panic acqusitions, screams dalenii in color scheme and petal shape - only size and elegantly arching flower scape hint towards papillio - I'd call it a hybrid, not a selection.
Next one is Lapiedra martinezii
- actually, if I didn't know it was European, I had seen it closer to Nerine than to Galanthus.
Last is my first Tricyrtis hirta
of the year - which of course has suffered from the drought, no matter how much water one pours on them.

Bwosczyna

I take a thousand photos and as I am now committed to playing in the Forum, as I have always just been a lurker, here are a few from my garden in the last week or so. The lycoris names are unknown to me as they were given to me a few years ago by Barry Yinger when he left his home/farm/nursery. The lilium speciosum album and Uchida are my two favorites that I've had for years. 
The dioscoria discolor is outside climbing up a hamamelis and was from a previous bx and will be brought in once it gets frosted in October. I alternate its growth: some years I grow it over the winter indoors and some I'll plant outside for summer. It doesn't seem to mind at all. 
The last snaps are of my largest urginea maritima that was sent to me by a good friend in Australia a couple years ago. We have perfected the timing to quickly acclimate bulbs he sends to me. Dormant in March and one growing season and they then will follow the regularly scheduled program. This was a huge bulb when he sent it and it divided over the winter here. I don't know of anyone near me who grows this but I am enamored mightily. I love having something so lush in my cold barn over the winter. 

Bridget

Martin Bohnet

I'm very jealous of your Lycoris - I've still to find the one that works for me. seems to be a common problem in Europe, you nearly don't see them at all.

Carlos

Hi, I don't write much, but as summer ends and plants resume activity, so will I.

For those who don't know about me, I live on the eastern Spanish coast (Spain), we don't have a specialy high bulb diversity but we have Drimia undulata, Acis valentina, Lapiedra martinezii...

Anyway I have been interested on Urginea / Drimia for a while. What is known and grown in California as Urginea maritima is not the true species, which is a hexaploid (2n=60) with whitish bulbs reaching about 15 cm only.

The massive bulbs with brick-red outer coats belong in Urginea numidica, a tetraploid which occurs mostly on the eastern Mediterranean, mainly Greek islands (except Cyprus and Rhodes I think), also on the Balearics, possibly Malta and the tiny Lampedusa island, probably also Pantelleria.

Then there is a diploid with white bulbs alsop, U. pancration, which frows from the Balearics (mainly Menorca) to Greece, including Sardinia, Sicily and Malta.

More to the east it is replaced by still anothere species, U. aphylla, which is present on the Turkish coast and islands, Cyprus (and Rhodes?) and Levant coast probably reaching Egypt, wher hybrids with numidica have been reported.

Then to the west there is U. maura, of which there is almost no information (but is sold by Oron Peri), and in southern Morocco and the Canaries there is another tetraploid, Urginea hesperia.

There are still two more poorly known species, one is Urginea anthericoides from the central-eastern Algerian coast, and D. secundiflora from near Rabat, Morocco.

One has to swap from Drimia to Urginea because most taxa have been named as a species in one genus, but a subspecies in another.

I have some of them and I look forward to write an article on the group.

Carlos

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm