learning by doing: what did I do wrong here?

Started by gastil, August 16, 2021, 11:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gastil

I want to learn what I did wrong so we can ease the transition for others.
See attached screenshot.
Something made the text below the link all super-tiny-font.
I did view Preview earlier in the process but not again before posting or I would have caught this I assume.
My guess is something about just pasting a link without properly encoding it has caused the font tiny-if-ication.

I neglect my garden on the central coast of California

David Pilling

There are apparently lots of closing size tag mark up codes in the screen shot message. One would guess that there were also some start size tags which have made the text small. For some reason the open and close tags have not matched, which is why some of the tags are being displayed - maybe newlines. But when writing the message size tags must have been inserted.

At the moment I can only find the Font size menu above that inserts these tags. Although you could do it manually, or maybe when pasting from something else that uses mark up. Or of course anything that puts the word size in square brackets - hard to believe the URL you pasted does that.

David Pilling

I realised I could find the original message, and use "modify" to discover what the mark up consisted of.

There are tags setting font, Verdana, and size tags, and the size tags don't match. So question is where did the text come from.

This is an extract, I have removed the square brackets, I don't know how to quote bbc text.

font=Verdana size=2px It is quite lovely and vigorous and even though it is not blue, I like it. /size /font
font=Verdana /size size=2px One theory is perhaps some seed volunteered into this pot. The originally planted

David Pilling

gastil

Let me see if I can reproduce my mistake.
I may have cut and pasted the species name from the wiki to be sure I got the spelling correct.
(pasting that below now)
Notholirion thomsonianum
[/size]
[/size]No. I do not think that was the cause of the mistake because I do not recall seeing any bold-italics happen before.
[/size]But that DID introduce a size tag. So my mistake was likely caused by a cut-and-paste.
[/size]
[/size]... and now I cannot figure out how to close those format tags put in by the paste to make the later text revert to the default size and color. There must be a markup/plaintext toggle somewhere.

Found it. The right-most button with red square brackets around an arrow.
I neglect my garden on the central coast of California

Martin Bohnet

Weird, all those miss-matched tags. Since it happened first with an attachment, could that be a relic from the disabled attachment plugins?
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)