Scandent inflorescences

Started by Robert_Parks, August 26, 2022, 11:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_Parks

Because why do the leaf and flower stalk thing when you be weird. Expanded netting plus surplus chopsticks to support the extra weird geophytes.

Schizobasis intricata (two forms)
Igidia volubis
Bowiea volubis (two forms)

And, THAT corner of the greenhouse

Ron

I love your small pot "mini-trellis" design - very cheap, very light, & very simple.  What an elegant solution!

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Ron on August 27, 2022, 10:43:33 PMI love your small pot "mini-trellis" design - very cheap, very light, & very simple.  What an elegant solution!
Thanks...and if need be they can ladder up to the ceiling netting.

Martin Bohnet

One question on the Bowiea: I got mine in flower for the first time (after loosing stalks to bad timing, slugs etc) - will that stalk ever stop? it's now growing since mid june, and goes for I guess 4 m or more around the handrail of my entrance stairs, and it grows and grows and  has hundreds of little green starry flowers. Will it ever stop? I mean I know I can cut it off when  need to take it inside (as it survived the "desaster arborts" before), but is there a "correct" way to induce dormancy if needed?
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on August 28, 2022, 10:10:35 AMOne question on the Bowiea: I got mine in flower for the first time (after loosing stalks to bad timing, slugs etc) - will that stalk ever stop? it's now growing since mid june, and goes for I guess 4 m or more around the handrail of my entrance stairs, and it grows and grows and  has hundreds of little green starry flowers. Will it ever stop? I mean I know I can cut it off when  need to take it inside (as it survived the "desaster arborts" before), but is there a "correct" way to induce dormancy if needed?
I've never gotten a strong seasonal dormancy with Bowiea...they put up an inflorescence and it goes for a while, and eventually senesces, and then sits bare for a while...maybe a few weeks, maybe a few months, doesn't seem to care much whether it is SF summer or winter. I have two seedling siblings and they are on opposite but overlapping growth schedules. They will happily grow indoors, if you can deal with the skein of tendrils...I'd let it grow outside until threat of frost and then chop it off. Park the bulb in a cool bright windowsill and decrease watering and maybe it will be satisfied to do bulb photosynthesis for a while.

For what its worth, Schizobasis also has irregular dormancy...my herd of seedlings flower randomly, sometimes one plant will send up a second inflorescence before the first has withered.

Igidia appears to go dormant late summer/fall, sprouting in mid/late winter...this is the first flowering for me, but the inflorescences started in July.

Robert
some sort of watery humid light outside