Started by jshields, August 13, 2022, 07:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshields

Test post without an image
Westfield, Indiana, USA
USDA Zone 5
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/index.html

jshields

When I drag and drop an image file (jpg) on a Reply window to the new Hymenocallis... topic, the message simply goes blank when I hit Post

I am confused.  This does not happen when I post images to the SRGC Forum
Westfield, Indiana, USA
USDA Zone 5
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/index.html

Martin Bohnet

Actually, until you brought the idea of just dragging and dropping an image into the reply field i would have never ever had the idea that could work - I don't know a single forum software which does this (no, i don't know the SRGC forum that well)

Just use the reply button and upload the pictures in the area below the text files. To quote from the Hints and Tips topic:

QuoteTo add your own pictures to your posts, you can use the "Attachments" function. The corresponding interface is displayed on clicking the little arrow icon next to "Attachments and other options" beneath your edit window on posting or starting a topic.

ATTENTION: The attachment area is not there when using the "Quick Reply" window below a discussion. Please use the "Reply" Button instead.

You can drag&drop a file into the "Attach" field or select one via file dialog on clicking "Add Files". The page will then display a preview of the file and the buttons "Cancel" or "Upload" - press the latter one to start uploading - you can edit your post or choose more attachments simultaneously. On completion of the upload, the image area will turn green, and display some code to embed the image into your text - you can copy and paste that or hit the "Insert" button at the bottom right of the green area to add the picture to your post text - you can even resize the display (not the image data file) using width options:

DSCF6230.jpg DSCF6230.jpg
DSCF6230.jpg DSCF6230.jpg

If you choose not to embed the files in the text, they will be displayed as clickable thumbnails beneath the post - which most of the time is the better solution for readability and will also provide you with statistics on how often people clicked on your image to see it full size.

Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

David Pilling

If I drag a picture into the reply window, what happens is the same as if I drag a picture into an empty browser window. The picture is loaded as a new webpage, and I can see it displayed.

I have no "post" button to click in this situation.

The behaviour is the same on the SRGC forum. There does not seem to be drag and drop support on SRGC, one clicks on a Choose file button (as you can here "Add files").

This is Chrome running on Ubuntu.

Martin Bohnet

Well I actually do see  the WYSIWYG-Editor trying to insert the picture (Firefox on Win10) and failing on upload, just as Jim describes. Maybe an over-enthusiastic subroutine specific to Firefox. I'll move the topic to Help&Feedback.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

David Pilling

This is FireFox plus wysiwyg mode. Drag and drop an image and it is inserted. You will see what happens when I click post - but the message is not lost.
Chrome plus wysiwyg is the same as without wysiwyg, just opens the image in a new page.

Hmm this time it did not appear, I got an error message "The message has the following error or errors that must be corrected before continuing:
    The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (40000 characters)."

So the first time I tried the message got posted with no picture. The second time I got the error message above, and the message was only posted after clicking on post again.

What happens over at SRGC - no wysiwyg mode, but on FF, it inserts the path to the picture file in the text.