Heating Your Greenhouse in Europe This Winter

Started by Bern, September 03, 2022, 09:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pilling

Quote from: Bern on December 22, 2022, 10:25:47 AMAlas, my intentions were good.  And it is a nice poem.

No arguing, it is a Winter constellation.

Mr Biden has been on the BBC tonight, good luck to everyone in the USA with the cold weather. I've already been asked when it will appear here.

David Pilling

"Everything You Need to Know About the Chinese Diesel Heater - MY SHOP IS WARM!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPM2JKlz9Ck

These things seem to be flavour of the year. Too big for my greenhouse. Perhaps I should get one for the house.

Then if I took up eating chips (fries) again I could run it off the waste oil.

They're sometimes called a "parking heater", because engine idling is illegal/inefficient.

Robert_Parks

Quote from: David Pilling on December 23, 2022, 03:40:57 AM"Everything You Need to Know About the Chinese Diesel Heater - MY SHOP IS WARM!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPM2JKlz9Ck

These things seem to be flavour of the year. Too big for my greenhouse. Perhaps I should get one for the house.

Then if I took up eating chips (fries) again I could run it off the waste oil.

They're sometimes called a "parking heater", because engine idling is illegal/inefficient.

Looks like one might be perfect for emergency situations (extreme temps or outages)

Arnold

We are predicted to reach 12 F this evening.
Arnold T.
North East USA

MarkMazer

Quote from: CG100 on December 22, 2022, 12:09:18 AMGold is everywhere in electronics
Worked for a firm that made and installed semiconductor processing equipment at the old Fairchild/National/TI fab in Danbury CT back in the 1970s and early 1980s (long gone). One of our coworkers always volunteered to work late at night and early in the morning.  He was arrested for going into the gold vacuum sputtering room and collecting gold from the machinery and cleanroom surfaces.

CG100

Quote from: MarkMazer on December 23, 2022, 07:13:14 AMHe was arrested for going into the gold vacuum sputtering room and collecting gold from the machinery and cleanroom surfaces.

LOL - that reminds me of floorboards and the various jewellery quarters (districts) across the UK.

The floors of the various workshops were ripped out and replaced every so many years, and the old floorboards sold   :)

They probably are today as well.

Bern

Winter storm Elliott has now been declared a bomb cylcone. A bomb cyclone is a fast-developing storm that occurs when atmospheric pressure drops at least 24 millibars over a 24-hour period. Arctic air and dangerous wind chill values will continue for most of the eastern two-thirds of the country into the holiday weekend. Tonight should be the lowest temps in most areas from this storm, although very cold weather will persist for several more days. Wyoming saw record low temps yesterday of -42F (-41C) and these temps without windchill factored in.

Low Temps Dec 23 2022.jpg 

Temps here in Williamsburg will plummet 40 degrees F today.  The low will be 9F (-13C).

Williamsburg Dec 23 2022.jpg

The people heating greenhouses will be challenged by these temps. Good luck!

CG100

The US weather is making a good deal of news here in the UK.
I am hoping that everyone stays safe.

My experience and memory in the UK goes back to two cold spells - I can JUST remember the long freeze of the early 1960's - I had not long since started school - that lasted weeks but did not get REALLY cold. The length of the freeze killed huge amounts of wildlife.

More recently we had a freeze that took air temp' down to -20C and windchill to -40C, and it snowed heavily - drifts were 6-8-10 feet deep - my garden was 6 feet under snow, although the field at the rear of the property was almost clear because of the wind!!! That was back in the late 1980's (I believe), and it lasted several days.

janemcgary

My container plants are on the patio floor and wrapped up under lightweight "mover's quilts." The bulb house denizens are on their own at about 20 F; many are not emerged yet, and most have survived it before. My suburb at the south edge of Portland, Oregon missed the threatened freezing rain so far; ground is covered in graupel, which is dangerous to walk or drive on but doesn't cling to plants. My new high-efficiency furnace stopped working when its condensate drain tube froze in an unthawable place, but I have a secondary furnace in the wing of the house with this nice warm office, and an environmentally offensive wood-burning fireplace elsewhere. Also a pot of cabbage borscht big enough for a soup kitchen.

Bern

Quote from: David Pilling on December 22, 2022, 06:10:03 PM
QuoteAlas, my intentions were good.  And it is a nice poem.

No arguing, it is a Winter constellation.
Canis Major.jpg
 "The constellation Canis Major, the great dog, is located in the southern hemisphere of the sky. It is visible in the northern hemisphere from December through March. Its name means "the greater dog" in Latin.  It represents the larger of Orion's two hunting dogs who accompany him as he hunts Lepus, the rabbit." Sirius is its brightest star and means "Scorching."

At least this constellation actually resembles what it is named for........

Arnold

We have 8 F right now outside.  Greenhouse temps holding at 42 F.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Martin Bohnet

I'm suffering with you, with our cold spell being less than a week ago. I almost feel bad to see the consequence of your cold: When it hits the warm atlantic waters it will boost the westwind conditions for Europe, keeping frost away from me for quite a while.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

David Pilling

Quote from: Bern on December 23, 2022, 05:18:27 PMAt least this constellation actually resembles what it is named for........

I agree, that is pretty good, it does not stop people on the internet writing "Look for Sirius, the eye of the dog in Orion", anyway brightest star in the sky, magnitude less than -1

Bern

Merry Christmas to All! 

Stay safe and warm, and enjoy Christmas.

Cheers,

Bern

Judy Glattstein

Here in western New Jersey it is clear blue skies and somewhat windy.

When I got up at 2:30 a.m. to put more wood in the stove it was 6 degrees Fahrenheit outside the front door, 4.5 degrees F on the roof (according to my weather station. I assure you that A) I don't go up there any more, at any season and B) wouldn't want to risk startling Santa and the reindeer.)

It is currently, 11:15 a.m. and 8.6 degrees F. on the roof. Mostly clear blue sky and somewhat windy.

Greenhouse is holding at 50 degrees F. Yesterday evening I turned up the thermostat for the propane heater and set the auxiliary electric heater to turn on if the temperature at that end of the greenhouse dropped below 50 degrees F. So far, so good.