The day the bulbs arrive

Started by David Pilling, September 13, 2021, 08:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pilling

Today is the day the bulbs arrived - I have lots of blue tulips! - I am gullible!!

Kind of a different supplier this year, the old one jacked up the prices too far this time - another 25%.

"Kind of" because they are still Dutch bulbs, but mostly from the high street shop "Wilko".

Diane Whitehead

Well, lucky you, being able to grow tulips.  One of the favourite deer snacks here.  I do manage to grow a few in the fenced vegetable garden.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

ksayce

Tulips, deer and voles--a snack duo that devastate tulips in my garden. I have resorted to only growing species tulips in hypertufa planters. Deer eat buds and flowers, and prefer hybrids. Voles eat the bulbs and are notoriously unpicky about hybrids or species.  
South coast of Washington, zone 8, mild wet winters, cool dry summers, in sand

MarcR

I grow most of my flowering plants, that are not deer resistant, in a 30x75 foot deer fenced area.
I buy 4X 12 foot pieces of hardware cloth and fold up 8 inches along each edge;, to form bulb cages. I plant my non-toxic bulbs in these cages. Most Ranunculaceae do not need this protection
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.