Flowering now in the greenhouse
Arnold T.
North East USA

Arnold

White C. byzantium album with purple tips to the styles
Arnold T.
North East USA

Martin Bohnet

I'll counter with Rhodophiala bifida and Colchicum bivoneae. Are you aware that you can attach more than one file to a post?
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Arnold

Yes I know, had a bit of trouble with password but solved it.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Arnold

Here's a recent flowering Agapanthus
Arnold T.
North East USA

Diane Whitehead

Well, this sure isn't as easy as the Scottish forum.

I uploaded two photos but somehow they were duplicated - a larger and a smaller version of each.

I tried to correct this, but instead managed to add one of them to my downloads folder.

Next I selected the two smaller photos and said to remove them.  They were removed, but so was the entire message.

I'll try once more.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Diane Whitehead

This is a hybrid of the Colchicum bivonae that Martin posted.  There are many such hybrids, and I don't know which this one is.  It has very large flowers and multiplies well.

Colchicum_bivonae hybrid.jpg
C bivonae hybrid.jpg
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Diane Whitehead

Well, somehow I posted the little duplicates again.

I will leave them and hope that someone knows what I did wrong.

Diane

Diane Whitehead

Now I'll try just one photo.

This is Gladiolus saundersii from South Africa.  It grows well in my garden.

Diane Whitehead

That worked better.

I dragged and dropped it and it put itself in "Attached:"

When I was posting two photos, and getting four, I put them under that, where it says:

Attach:
Drag and drop your files here, or use the button to add files.

Then I clicked on "Insert".

Martin Bohnet

I think the SRG-forum is configured to hide the thumbnails if the image is embedded into the post. Moving the included attachments from a mod to the system core is one of the 2.1 changes. At a first glance it seems the "Hide if Inlined" option seems unavailable in the Admin configuration - I only saw an option to always hide the  Thumbs, but then people will be confused if they don't embed.

Another thing which is confusing is that the expansion of the thumbnail on the first click can be slow on big photos like the gladiolus. I'd really love to see the auto-resize function again to shorten this delay (among all the other benefits of limited image sizes)

That said: I don't know the true nature of my C. bivonae. it surely does clump up slower than C. hausknechti, but Paul Christian as a source is not always precise when dealing with hybrids or species - which also could be due to confusion of his sources.

David Pilling

Yes removing thumbs that are referenced in posts is a common feature on SMF mods.
I feel getting thumbs/photos/whatever right is the most important thing. This is where I am stuck. Diane's comments about difficulty are new. I know of plenty of other problems.

I'd be happy if everything was a thumbnail at the end of a message - but there is advantage in being able to add text near a photo.

I don't like images appearing different sizes - one message has thumbs and the next has page filling images.

There are addons that use things like "lightbox" to display images ("lightbox" is how the wiki works). Anyone saying "I have to be able to see a photo while writing a comment".

For users, consistency and simplicity are important.

I've not been able to find the enthusiasm to start programming what I would like. That is where I am stuck.

We could ditch SMF if there was another piece of software which solved these problems. Photos seem like an afterthought for most forum software.

With the wiki I programmed what I wanted - multiple resolution images, auto resize. These sound like sensible requirements. But I have had no luck selling (giving) them to the maintainers of the wiki. They positively dislike the ideas.

Clearly we could program our own solution (for SMF). Doing that there is no issue with SMF version, because you have your own code and you are going to make it work come what may.

I feel I lack knowledge of forum software - six months running SMF and I will tell you all that is wrong with it, and then I can have six months running something else.

Just how users will mess things up also remains to be seen.

I have in my 12 years involvement with PBS had little luck with the idea that software has a bearing on the success of an offering. Mysteriously after all this time I hear little but that the wiki is too hard for people to contribute to it.

Apparently I have made the wiki more difficult - better that tables have to be coded by cell and images resized by hand  :)

Arnold

Haemanthus coccineus x albifloros

Always an early flower.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Martin Bohnet

what was the topic? oh yes, flower photos - so please focus on the Ennealophus...

David Pilling

Who are we getting to judge this contest - testing alerts