Holotypic Occlupanid Research Group

Started by Judy Glattstein, October 02, 2022, 08:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Glattstein

Not plants, You know those little plastic tags that hold closed the plastic bag around packaged bread, hot dog rolls, and such like? I just learned that there is a system for classifying them. It's adorable! and offers insight into how classification works.

Here is a link to their site: Holotypic Occlupanid Research Group http://www.horg.com/horg/
which is very detailed, even a guide to symbols Latin color chart http://www.horg.com/horg/?page_id=2040

I stumbled across this in an article in the NYTimes, which can be persnickety about allowing access without a subscription but you could try

https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/61UhNScX3yLYS4zSWOuUqA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRlGpnAP0TtaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaW5wdXRtYWcuY29tL2N1bHR1cmUvaG9yZy1wbGFzdGljLWJyZWFkLXRhZ3Mtb2NjbHVwYW5pZHMtY2xhc3NpZmljYXRpb24tc2l0ZT9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD05JmVtYz1lZGl0X25uXzIwMjIxMDAxJmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTczNDY3Jm5sPXRoZS1tb3JuaW5nJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NjE1NTEyNjQmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xMDg2NzUmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTk5MWVjNzQ4MTU1NDcyMzczYzdkNjZhMThhODBjMDBjVwNueXRCCmMzwBQ4Y1OcYyVSEWpnZ2xhdHRAZ21haWwuY29tWAQAAAAA

Delightful. Do you agree?

David Pilling

Hi Judy, that is a brilliant site. All they need now is someone to come along and reclassify all the tags on a different basis, like manufacturer.

I have a web page with photos of variations of single board computers, often felt that was similar to botany.

Ernest Rutherford "all science is either physics or stamp collecting,"

Judy Glattstein

David, this morning I stalled when opening a package of English muffins. All I meant to do was take one out to toast. But found myself staring at the points and lobes of the occlupanid's form.

If I understand correctly occlupanids are banned in the UK, with twist ties substituted. Nothing to be managed with small lots paperwork, right?

David Pilling

Judy - I have no idea, all the bread etc I eat is home baked. I'll have to do some botanising at the supermarket.

According to Google:

"bread ties are currently banned in the UK, in favour of small pieces of sticky tape" due to the risk of being swallowed.

A long time back I recall the tape was colour coded by day of the week.

Bag clips do appear on Thingiverse - which is where you go to get things to make on your 3D printer. I could print some if I wanted to stick it to the man.

This makes me wonder if one could write a program that produced an infinite number of designs of clips - people have done that for 3D printing snowflakes.

Are there an infinite number of bulbs...

Judy Glattstein

David, I bake the no-knead bread promulgated by Mark Bittman from the Sullivan Street Bakery. I even developed a rye bread version myself, adapted from a recipe shared by a woman in the next bed when we both had our babies lo those many decades ago. What (types) of bread do you bake?

David Pilling

Bread... white, brown, malted, wholemeal. Nothing too exciting. Got a big mixer to do most of the kneading work.

Covid ended years of using fresh yeast and certain brands of flour. Now I am using Fermipan dried yeast.

The process produces a person month supply of bread in a couple of hours. I keep the bread in a freezer.

This won't translate outside the UK supermarket - white bread is Canadian strong flour. Brown bread flour has a legal definition in the UK. Malted flour is available from various suppliers - malted flakes and seeds.

I have made bread with rye in it - but not a favourite. This week 25% oat bran bread - which spread too much.