October 2022 photos

Started by Carlos, October 05, 2022, 10:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlos

Hi, autumn Narcissus are reaching their peak for me (Valencia, E coast of Spain, zone 10).

Narcissus obsoletus, Narcissus x perezlarae, Narcissus deficiens 'star morph', this one was rescued two years ago from a mound of earth by a roadside along  with some fellars, I thought they were Tulipa or Dipcadi serotinum.

Narcissus deficiens and Muscari parviflorum received from Malta

Narcissus broussonetii (allegedly, antiatlanticum) from the Djebel Imzi in Morocco, where the Dragon trees were found.

Sorry but I usually have little time to rename pictures, they can be scrolled down in order of citation.

Carlos

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Rick R.

Great plants and pics!

You're right, it is nice to have the plant names under the individual photos in the file name, but the important thing is that they are in the the text of a message so they are searchable on the forum.  You did good. :)
Just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. USDA Zone 4b

Diane Whitehead

If you have several photos of each species, the quickest way to have them named would be to have each group of photos as a separate message.  So, all the yellow flowers in one message, with one name, all the white flowers in a second message, and the singles in a third message.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Carlos

Hi, thanks for the advice. There is the 'insert' option as well...

Here the first truly wild Narcissus deficiens I saw in my area, with Prospero autumnale

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Carlos

Prospero autumnale alone
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Carlos

And Drimia purpurascens (=Drimia undata, Urginea undulata)
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Carlos

A short lesson on autumn flowering Narcissi

Narcissus elegans. From about Al-Hoceima to Nador and Melilla, then again from Tlemcen and Oran to Constantine in Algeria, and Mallorca and Ibiza islands. Flowering with 1-2 leaves.

20221008_124420.jpg

Narcissus obsoletus, Tangiers peninsula and mountains in Fez area, somewhere dissapearing and allowing elegans to become dominant, appearing again in Tunisia (with possible hybrids with elegans in El Kala-Constantine, Algeria), Sicily, with a disjunct population in Málaga province, Spain (this one has been called Narcissus malacitanus with not very well-based reasons). With 1-2 leaves when flowering.

20221008_124453.jpg

Narcissus serotinus, almost always one flowered, with a 6-cleft greenish crown. Southwestern Iberian peninsula and opposite Moroccan coast, with very few individuals on Formentera island. No leaves when in bloom, and usually not produced afterwards (the flower stalk does the photosynthesis).

20221008_124508.jpg

20221008_124602.jpg

I don't have adult cavanillesii, but it can't be mistaken for any of these.

Carlos Jiménez

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Wylie

The one flower I look forward to in the fall is Paramangaia weberbaueri. It is about 2 weeks early this year.

Carlos

Amazing, I was given two small bulbs last summer.
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Martin Bohnet

Beautiful narcissus -  for now I had no real luck with fall flowering narcissus, but who knows? there was a time when I thought crocusses in that half of the year were difficult, just because one does not see them around... well, not outside my garden.

OK, the weather can be a problem - Crocus vallicola
opend up to the return of the sun today, after a very rainy week. My other new Crocus from Jānis Rukšāns is "autumn fantasy", but that picture already is 8 days old, before the rain. Last in that line of crocus are two later flowers of Crocus niveus
from Uli, donated in EX01

Speaking about Uli: this Oxalis flava
is from this year's EX05 - part 2 of that is still running! Meanwhile in the bog garden is Spiranthes cernua in flower - the only stalk of 4 that wasn't razed by slugs. Nerine undulata
took a braek for a year  but is now back - actually I took the plant into the house when the buds first emerged, Amaryllidaceae are another slugs favorite for me.

Anyway, The worst of winter is through, the Snowdrops are in flower - OK, that joke would only work outside a bulbophile forum - of course that's my new regineae olgae

Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Carlos

Wonderful, Martin, I have just discovered Nerine and Lycoris.

Here Arum pictum subsp pictum (Corsica and Sardinia)

20221020_182413.jpg
20221020_182428.jpg
20221020_182508.jpg

and Biarum carratracense.

20221020_183002.jpg 20221020_183015.jpg

Carlos
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Wylie

In the last EU Bx, there was a very generous donation by Exbury Nerines. In the final year before Brexit closed trade with the EU, I had bought some bulbs from them and they very generously included over 30 unbloomed bulbs as a gift. Well, the first ones are starting to bloom, so here a couple of what can be anticipated from those who are lucky enough to get some. The last one is "Amethyst Delight' in a purple pot.

Martin Bohnet

Beautiful  color forms, Wylie. It will take a while until the EX-specimen will flower though, they were quite different sizes, but all well under flowering size. Quicker EX success can be achieved with crocus, like this striped Crocus pumilus from the September edition - Thanks @WimB for donation!

Weather has been strange here - after a very cold end of September, October confuses the plants with warm weather, although rather wet in between - not ideal to get the cold sensitive plants ready for inside... On the other hand this has helped Hedychium deceptum
Height: 80-120 cm (2.6-3.9 ft)
Flower Colors: red
Flower Season: late summer to mid autumn
Climate: USDA Zone 8-9
( syn H. rubrum) to finally open up the first time for me - I've had half-grown buds before, always killed by early winter conditions...
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Wylie

I had received all different sizes of Nerine bulbs, and there are about 10 that finally reached flowering size and have scapes. (I also have 35 scapes on named varieties). The others will need time to bulk up, and they will be moved to larger pots next year. Then I do collect and sow any seeds that form and have a number of those growing.

Arnold

Arnold T.
North East USA