October 2022 photos

Started by Carlos, October 05, 2022, 10:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLoos

Good Lord, those are lovely!  Arnold, your photographic skills are impressive.  Really nice capture.

Arnold

Arnold T.
North East USA

Carlos

Wonderful stuff.

Do you know if they have pure botanical Nerine at Exbury? I am looking for  wild types of N. Sarniensis and/or others.

Here a photo taken two weeks ago in my local botanical garden, Valencia. Could it be a wild type?

20221016_132128.jpg
20221016_132135.jpg

They have some more interesting things, though mist ofcthe bulb framesxonly have empty spaces with lonely labels... This goes on in this garden since I was a child, even if my land is know as the "land of the flowers" in a popular song.

The other problem here are misidentified plants. The more I look at sarniensis photos, the more I think the plant above is something else...

20221016_132203.jpg
20221016_132210.jpg
20221016_132406.jpg
20221016_132113.jpg
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Martin Bohnet

I doubt that you will find "botanical" clones of Nerine sarniensis or bowdenii in European trade - both have been subject to too much selection. I don't even think that my direct SA imports of Nerine masoniorum could be considered as such.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Martin Bohnet

so, what's left of October? not much, even though it was very warm for the season - the Hedychium and the Nerine I showed before still are in flower, as are the last few Tricyrtis, the Oxalis both from this and earlier EX...

So, of the things I didn't show before, there's Hypoxis villosa
which I donated in EX04, but that's almost constantly flowering outside of deepest winter. I've got Kniphofia typhoides
Height: 80-100 cm (2.6-3.3 ft)
Flower Colors: brown
Flower Season: late summer to early autumn
in flower, one of those plants you grow from seed for curiosity and then can't bring yourself to let it go - it's really just something curious, no beauty. Typically for the time there are of course Iris foetidissima
berries. And then there ist this picture of this floral visitor on Tulbaghia violacea
, where you ask yourself "How did it get there?? - and why ?!?"
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)