Another Nerine question

Started by Uli, October 29, 2022, 12:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uli

Hello,

Apart from Wylie's questions I would like to share an observation I made the last days. At the moment I have several different Nerine in flower. Both Nerine sarniensis wild form and hybrids and Nerine bowdenii and X Amarine Belladiva varieties. What I noticed is that in most hybrids the stigma never becomes receptive. Only some plants open up the stigma into three small segments to which the pollen clings easily. Most others  maintain a pointed closed stigma to which the pollen does not seem to attach. Too early to judge if seed set has taken place in those flowers with receptive stigma. Belladivas never set seed and also none of them opens the stigma. Have you also observed this?

Bye for now 

Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

Diane Whitehead

The stigma of the X Amarine I have does not divide into 3 until the  petals start to shrivel.  I am waiting till this happens before I pollinate the flowers.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Diane Whitehead

Well, my amarine did not produce seeds.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Uli

Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate