November

Started by Arnold, November 02, 2022, 09:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Scilla madeirensis

Lachenalia pygmaea
 Scilla madeirensis.2022.1.jpg Scilla madeirensis.2022.jpg  Lachenalia ensifolia.2022.1.jpg Lachenalia ensifolia.2022.jpg
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

Arnold - photo #1 is beautiful - would be a great time-lapse to see all the little flowers open.

Arnold

David

I thought of that.  I can do it with my camera but need to dig into the instruction book
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

Time-lapse is wishful thinking on my part, you'd need control of the light and environment for a few days.

Arnold

Veltheimia capnesis

Coloring upVeltheimia capensis.2022.jpg
Arnold T.
North East USA

Arnold

Lachenalia longituba
Arnold T.
North East USA

MLoos

I can't seem to get the quality photograph I'd like, but here it is.  Three South African Strumaria - discifera ssp. discifera, salteri, and prolifera, all from seed [discifera is the white star, salteri is the pink, and prolifera is the pendulous white].  They each took different times to bloom from seed, some are at six years as opposed to three.  All are blooming for the first time. A few other salteri bloomed last year for the first time. My original salteri from which the seeds were produced, took four attempts (years) to finally produce seeds and the original bulbs were lost the following year!  (Bulb fly, they're not monocarpic...) The leopoldi are six years old and not showing any signs of blooming.  With only single leaves from each bulb, it probably won't be any time soon.  They appear to grow better under the LED light system but I should probably fertilize more frequently.

Strumaria.jpg
Michael (wishing it would rain)
Interlaken, NY Upstate Zone 6

Arnold

Michael

One thing I've learned after looking at images of flowers for years is to make the background simple and darker than the flower you want to capture.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Arnold

Cyclamen hederafolium among Ivy leaves
Arnold T.
North East USA

Diane Whitehead

a pun!  Hederifolium among the Hedera
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Arnold

Arnold T.
North East USA

Arnold

Medlar approaching ripeness
Arnold T.
North East USA

Diane Whitehead

How do you eat it?  Fresh, cooked, made into jam?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Arnold

I've made a jam.  Not impressed.  A bit like the browning on an apple that's been left cut too long.
Arnold T.
North East USA

MLoos

Arnold, thank you, I'll have to try the darker background on the next flower pix.  

I have to agree on the medlar.  The "controlled" rotting or bletting part of the ripening process doesn't do them any flavor-favors.  Even as jam, it's rather boring.  I suppose in mid-winter they were a treat, if you didn't have much else.