F2 Sinningia siblings

Started by Dennis Kramb, December 11, 2022, 12:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Kramb

Three years ago I did a selfing on my Sinningia Sdlg. K1 which was a cross between [Sinningia leucotricha × Sinningia 'Seminole' (white sport)].  It was a lovely flower & I was excited to explore what offspring it could produce.

Two of the F2 seedlings have bloomed so far and they both have strange flowers.

K1F2-3 has wavy rimmed flowers.
K1F2-6 has petaloids inside the flowers.

I suppose two seedlings is too small of a sample size to draw conclusions from but I am disappointed to see them having narrower, more leucotricha-like flowers than "K1" (the F1 parent).  There's a few more siblings I'm waiting to see bloom, but I'm losing enthusiasm after seeing these first two.

Many of the seedlings have a sprawling habit which is both strange and annoying considering they're genetically half leucotricha which has a very compact growth habit.  The soft lambs-ear foliage is quite nice but it's not enough to make me consider any of these F2 an improvement on the F1 parent.  Maybe the next one will have spectacular flowers?

Rick R.

I am looking at the really nice compactness of growth in your K1-F2-3 seedling.  A nice achievement from the two grandparents.  We always hope for the best when we hybridize, but rarely get everything we want.  Weird things happen especially when parents' genetics are fully compatible.  As you know, trying to breed for specifics isn't easy when you don't have at least fifty plus seedlings to grow on and continue with.  I think so far, you're doing great!
Just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. USDA Zone 4b