Proposed reference tool

Started by janemcgary, December 19, 2022, 05:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janemcgary

I'm sorting a huge collection of alpine/rock gardening journals going back as far as the late 1930s. I can't bring myself to throw them in the recycling bin; they've been through too many great gardeners' libraries. Nowadays, the North American Rock Garden Society, the Alpine Garden Society, and the Scottish Rock Garden Club have made their back volumes available in digital form. This would include indexes. However, I wonder if it would be useful for me to make a bibliography (not annotated), by genera, of useful geophyte articles from these journals, so enthusiasts could go quickly to the online pages. It would be a winter project (we all need them), and I'd learn plenty. What do you think? I'm a very experienced bibliographer -- worked on Oxford UP's online reference bibliographies for years.

Diane Whitehead

I would find it useful.  My own collections of those journals start at about 1970.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Robert_Parks

That would be lovely.

For me, no winter projects, because I don't really have a winter, the garden can be utterly demanding year round.

Uli

Hello Jane,
That is a brilliant and sustainable idea. This way it would enable anybody to easily access interesting literature. 
Thank you very much for taking the effort and time to do this.

Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

janemcgary

Thanks for the encouraging replies. Now I have to test a few articles (using e.g. genus+author) against Google to make sure I'm not just duplicating the effort of massive search engines.

Michael Mace

I'm late with my reply, but I wanted to add that I also think it's a great idea.