Oxalis versicolor?

Started by Mikent, December 29, 2022, 05:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikent

I requested Oxalis sp. from BX481 (item 98 from Robert Parks). What I received isn't O. sp., I think it is probably O. versicolor RP 2 (item 101). The flower color and leaves are dead on, however the plants (and flowers) never got any bigger than Pearlwort (Sagina subulata). It's hard to tell from the pictures I can find on our Wiki, and Google searches, since there aren't really any that include something giving a sense of scale. Is that the normal size of O. versicolor, or is the RP 2 variant maybe a dwarf?

I suppose it could also have been from the inopportune attention of a fluffy-tailed rat (aka grey squirrel) that dug the bulbs up daily until I put 1/4" of pea gravel on top of the soil (although that was many weeks before the bulbs started to grow). Said squirrel eventually offed itself when it decided to eat 10-15 Hippeastrum striatum bulbs (leaves, roots, and strawberry-sized bulbs) for lunch one day.

Mike
Zone 6A region of the Finger Lakes - where the temperatures peaked in the low fifties today, after a week around 0 F.

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Mikent on December 29, 2022, 05:52:15 PMI requested Oxalis sp. from BX481 (item 98 from Robert Parks). What I received isn't O. sp., I think it is probably O. versicolor RP 2 (item 101). The flower color and leaves are dead on, however the plants (and flowers) never got any bigger than Pearlwort (Sagina subulata). It's hard to tell from the pictures I can find on our Wiki, and Google searches, since there aren't really any that include something giving a sense of scale. Is that the normal size of O. versicolor, or is the RP 2 variant maybe a dwarf?

I suppose it could also have been from the inopportune attention of a fluffy-tailed rat (aka grey squirrel) that dug the bulbs up daily until I put 1/4" of pea gravel on top of the soil (although that was many weeks before the bulbs started to grow). Said squirrel eventually offed itself when it decided to eat 10-15 Hippeastrum striatum bulbs (leaves, roots, and strawberry-sized bulbs) for lunch one day.

Mike
Zone 6A region of the Finger Lakes - where the temperatures peaked in the low fifties today, after a week around 0 F.
Definitely not sp. (Durango) which is a medium sized summer grower without surface stems. There is plenty of that for the spring BX if you want to try again.

O. versicolor is a dwarf. Depending on conditions when it emerges, the rosette can be right at ground level or on a couple inch (5cm) stalk, the flowers stand a little proud of the leaves. Pictured is a 4"/10cm pot...really a belly plant because all the pigment is on the bottom/outer surface of the petals, from the top there is just a hint of pink along one edge of the petals...or catch the blooms when closed.

Pictured is the RP1 clone which looks identical to RP2 other than not blooming synchronously.

Robert
in rainy San Francisco where the crows have decided that the new BEST THING! is to pull labels out of pots and maybe toss around 2" pots. The rats seem to be taking a break from eating the leaves and flowers of Abutilon striatum (not the hybrids, mind), but that might just be one of the neighbors baiting heavily.

Mikent

Thank you, Robert. One of the bulbs was growing at ground level, and another with the puff of foliage/flowers about 1.5" off the ground.

I do already have the O. sp. from a BX a year or two ago. I only requested it (again) because the first time around, it wasn't identified as O. sp. Durango (just O. sp.). I wasn't sure if it was the same item, or not. It's all good; I got something I didn't have previously, I was just unsure about the petite size. I'm more used to Oxalis being a sprawling plant that usually blooms non-stop. While the pea gravel took care of the squirrel issue, I think it absorbed/radiated some extra heat when the weather got into the higher 90's. Things looked a bit crispy for a few days, then the plant adjusted, but never returned to blooming. I'll put it somewhere that is more partial shade next year and see if the plant gets bigger, or remains dainty.

Mike
Where the water in the lake must have gotten super-chilled from all the cold weather in December. After 2 days in the 50's, there is still a foot or so wide rim of ice along the shore. Lots of swans and Canada geese floating around out there.

Robert_Parks

Quote from: Mikent on December 30, 2022, 11:21:10 AMThank you, Robert. One of the bulbs was growing at ground level, and another with the puff of foliage/flowers about 1.5" off the ground.

I do already have the O. sp. from a BX a year or two ago. I only requested it (again) because the first time around, it wasn't identified as O. sp. Durango (just O. sp.). I wasn't sure if it was the same item, or not. It's all good; I got something I didn't have previously, I was just unsure about the petite size. I'm more used to Oxalis being a sprawling plant that usually blooms non-stop. While the pea gravel took care of the squirrel issue, I think it absorbed/radiated some extra heat when the weather got into the higher 90's. Things looked a bit crispy for a few days, then the plant adjusted, but never returned to blooming. I'll put it somewhere that is more partial shade next year and see if the plant gets bigger, or remains dainty.

Mike
Where the water in the lake must have gotten super-chilled from all the cold weather in December. After 2 days in the 50's, there is still a foot or so wide rim of ice along the shore. Lots of swans and Canada geese floating around out there.
Your original probably was (Durango) if it was from me more than a year ago.

Definitely not a O. hirta or purpurea, or gods forbid pes-caprae. There are a lot of tiny ones out there. Right now palmifrons is a pot full of quarter sized (2 cm) perfect rosettes.

Robert
In a break between phases of the atmospheric river...warm and cloud foresty (63F), anything not wet from the mist is wet from condensation (surfaces are about 50F right now).