January photos

Started by Arnold, January 09, 2023, 08:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

We have a nearby town that have installed free Wifi in their down town.  Just put the transmitters on already existing poles
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

Quote from: Arnold on February 03, 2023, 06:55:13 AMJust put the transmitters on already existing poles

Problem is that one person's improved home entertainment, is another person's G5 alien lizard mind control tower.

In other words the folk saying lots of poles would spoil the neighbourhood did not get universal support.

There was a UK company Ionica that was going to supply internet via microwaves to houses. It went bust when Spring came and it turned out tree leaves proved effective at screening radio waves.

Arnold

David

The poles are already there.  We are a bit behind here the rest of the world.  Much of our  utility  infrastructure is above our heads.

Newer communities have buried them but my area was first built in the later 1800's so utility poles are the fashion.
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

One of those things, like driving on the wrong side of the road - so what, but it is interesting given the same problem how there are different solutions.

I'd say the typical phone line in the UK is overhead. New developments not, but of course the UK is a very old place, there is a lot of old stuff.

What would shock us, is overhead electricity to the end user.

Anyway enough off topic, today I have daffodils (2), croci (4) and snowdrops (many).