Ferraria crispa leaves turning tan

Started by petershaw, January 09, 2023, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petershaw

I have several pots from bulb exchange and most of them are turning tan or brown and one is tipping over. Its happening outside and in my unheated greenhouse.

Any ideas or is this pretty normal coloration just sort of weak growing in more shade than sun. Santa Cruz

IMG_2109.jpg

Arnold

Peter

I've had this on some Arums and Freesias.

One thought which was passed long to me is a high urea fertilizer.

I'll search me note and see if I can find the note.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Martin Bohnet

Under "German conditions" - that is, the unheated or emergency heated greenhouse tends to be at 2-5°C for long weeks - yellowing of Ferraria is almost always a reaction to too much water. Your pots look quite wet to me, but that might be fine if you're significantly warmer.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Uli

My first thought was that your plants have a root problem. I agree with Martin, they look very wet.  If you have many it might be worthwhile to tip the rootball out of one of  the pots to check the roots. 
Ferraria is much happier with free root run or at least a large pot. Have you tried them in the open ground in Santa Cruz?
Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

kieranmartin6223

Top Choices Of Cleaning Mops For Laminate Flooring in 2023

Laminate flooring has become a popular choice for homeowners due to its durability, ease of installation, and low maintenance. However, just like any other flooring material, laminate floors require regular cleaning to maintain their pristine appearance. The best mop for Laminate floors is an essential tool you must have, as it can effectively remove dirt and grime without damaging the surface. In this article, we will review the top choices for cleaning mops for laminate flooring in 2023.

1. Bona Stone, Tile, and Laminate Floor Premium Spray Mop

The Bona Premium Spray Mop is a top-rated cleaning tool for laminate flooring, boasting a durable and lightweight design. It features a refillable cartridge that can be filled with cleaning solutions, allowing for easy and convenient cleaning. The mop pad is machine washable, making it a cost-effective and eco-friendly option. The Bona is also affordably priced, making it a great choice for homeowners on a budget.

2. Shark Genius Hard Floor Cleaning System

If you are looking for a versatile laminate floor mop, the Shark Genius is an excellent option. This mop features a detachable and washable pad that provides a thorough clean, while the steam function effectively removes dirt and kills bacteria. The Shark Genius also comes with a touch-free pad release mechanism, making it easy to swap out dirty mop pads. Though it is priced higher than other mops on this list, it is worth the investment for its exceptional performance and versatility.

3. O-Cedar EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop

The O-Cedar mop is a simple yet effective cleaning tool for laminate flooring. It features a bucket with a built-in wringer that allows for hands-free wringing, making it easy to control the amount of moisture on the mop pad. The mop's triangular head is designed to reach corners and tight spaces, while the microfiber material effectively traps dirt and grime. The O-Cedar Easywring is reasonably priced, making it an excellent option for homeowners looking for an affordable yet effective mop.

4. Swiffer WetJet Hardwood and Floor Spray Mop

The Swiffer WetJet has been a fan favorite for many years and for good reason. It features a simple and user-friendly design that makes cleaning quick and easy. It also has a unique cleaning solution that dissolves dirt and grime, leaving your laminate flooring looking brand new. The Swiffer WetJet mop pads are disposable, making them a hygienic option for those concerned about bacteria buildup. Though the mop and pads are slightly pricier than other options on this list, they are widely available at most retailers.

5. Libman Freedom Spray Mop

The Libman is an excellent alternative to traditional mop and bucket cleaning techniques. This mop features a refillable cleaning solution tank that can be filled with any cleaning solution of your choice. The mop pad is microfiber, making it effective at trapping dirt and grime, and it can be washed and reused up to 100 times. It is affordable and eco-friendly, making it an excellent option for homeowners looking for a more sustainable cleaning solution.

A clean and well-maintained laminate floor can transform the look of a room, and having the right cleaning tools can make the task more manageable. While each mop has its own unique features and price point, they are all effective at removing dirt and grime without damaging the surface. Choose the mop that best suits your needs and budget, and enjoy a clean and shiny laminate floor for years to come. Whenever you need some good advice on taking care of your home, find articles from Joseph French - one of our leading writers at The King Live.

petershaw

These are outside slightly covered but we have had huge rain the last 2 weeks here in Santa Cruz CA.

Ill pop them out of their pots and have a look.

I am not watering the ones in the greenhouse though and they are also showing some of this,

Fertilizer is NO3 only and about 30-40mg/l (ppm) but my guess is thats long gone with all the rain.

Would they prefer a much higher pumice percentage? I am over 50% with some perlite and coir.

Leo

Is there any way to give more sun? They look etiolated to me. Grown in sun they are very tight and compact.

I agree not to water until they are more dry. I must grow Ferraria in clay or sand, in large pots, to give enough water. My climate is much different from yours, of course, and I am a lot farther south. A "1-gallon" / 3.78 liter black plastic nursery pot with many plants in heavy clay will go dry here in 3-4 days. If I don't water soon enough they yellow and go dormant.

I also agree they need larger containers, or try them in the ground if you can. Mine in containers tolerate our rare summer rain when dormant, but I don't know how they would do in an irrigated bed. The smallest container in which I've flowered them is a 20-ounce / 600ml polyfoam cup, which is deeper than standard pots of similar diameter. Others here in metro Phoenix have flowered them in square plastic 3.25" / 8.25cm pots.