Cleaning over spring bulbs

Started by janemcgary, January 21, 2023, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janemcgary

When the snowdrops and other early bulbs emerge, they may still have winter debris over them. A wonderful tool for cleaning this up is the Bulldog Co. rubber-tined rake. I bought one at least 25 years ago and it's just beginning to deteriorate, so I searched for a replacement and found it on Pottery Barn's website. There are two models, and I prefer the narrow one, "Merlin", for maneuvering among plantings. The strong, flexible rubber tines are as gentle as fingers and will pull fallen leaves off the smallest emerging buds and leaves without damage, provided you use the rake with a quick, light stroke. Highly recommended garden tool.

Arnold

Arnold T.
North East USA

Robin Hansen

Do you use this in your bulb beds or out in the rock garden also? I vaguely remember you having trees in your gardens and if this would work in the rock garden, that would help a lot as I have this double-flowering pink cherry in the front on one edge of the garden with nice big, brown leaves everywhere...
Robin Hansen
President, PBS

janemcgary

Robin asked where the rake was used. Not in the bulb house, where maintenance is all by hand, and not on the rock gardens, which are steep and rugged. I use it in ordinary planting areas among shrubs, perennials, and bulbs on flat or nearly flat ground, where the wind doesn't blow off the leaves. Most of the leaves are from my neighbors' gigantic old oak trees.