Main Menu

ChatGPT

Started by David Pilling, February 10, 2023, 07:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pilling

Can anyone type galanthus nivalis into ChatGPT. I'm examining the case for laying off the wiki editors.

mrhomick

I just put in "what is the conservation status of Lilium occidentale?" and received the following reply. 

"Lilium occidentale, also known as the western lily, is a species of lily native to western North America. According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List, the conservation status of Lilium occidentale is "Least Concern." This means that the species is not considered to be threatened or endangered, and is widespread and abundant in its native range. However, as with all species, it is important to monitor populations and take measures to conserve their habitats, especially in the face of habitat loss and degradation."

mrhomick

Galanthus nivalis, also known as the common snowdrop, is a species of flowering bulbous perennial plant native to Europe. It is widely cultivated for its delicate, white, bell-shaped flowers that bloom in early spring, often appearing through the snow. Snowdrops have a long history of cultivation and are considered a symbol of hope and renewal. They are popular garden plants and are widely used in the cut flower industry. The genus name "Galanthus" comes from the Greek words "gála," meaning milk, and "ánthos," meaning flower, referring to the white, milky sap that is produced by the flowers.

David Pilling

Thanks for that. Pretty good. Of course it is probably channelling what is on the wiki and many other sites. If there are 99 sites that are wrong and 1 that is right...

Martin Bohnet

I always felt the wiki mostly lives from personal experience - growth and handling reports etc. As long as the chatbot doesn't have a garden of its own, there's only that much it can compile from the internet.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

David Pilling

People will never see the wiki in future, in general they don't like "noise", as in dozens of search results to trawl through. A pleasant summary will suffice. TBH if you're not on the first page of Google no one sees you anyway.

It is acceptable to read 100 books on snowdrops and then write one of your own - even though it will only consist of repeating what you've read somewhere. Now computers can do this. No attribution, no copyright.

Martin Bohnet

actually we are on the first page for quite a few species... but it will be interesting if the algorithm of normal google search will reward or punish auto-written pages - if normal search will survive and people don't switch to "Computer, give me a summary on Galanthus in the UK" - I hear Majel Barret Roddenberry has recorded everything necessary for any future computer dialog before her death - some still find it strange to hear another voice as hers in new series...

David Pilling

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on February 12, 2023, 11:16:22 AMI hear Majel Barret Roddenberry

Nurse Chapel for some of us.

AI generated pages should have some fingerprint to show their origin. Probably that is implicitly true.

Alphabet (owner of Google) lost $100 billion this week because their Bard rival to ChatGPT got a question wrong.

It could be the end of the Google licence to print money. Maybe there are queries where you don't want a story as the result (widget suppliers in Blackpool). And many searches now give you a short text summary, Googling 'galanthus nivalis' does.

Martin Bohnet

Quote from: David Pilling on February 12, 2023, 04:53:39 PM
Quote from: Martin Bohnet on February 12, 2023, 11:16:22 AMI hear Majel Barret Roddenberry

Nurse Chapel for some of us.
Well, that could also be Jess Bush now, as of Strange new Words. Others may think of Majel as Lwaxana Troi - which is funny because she tends to argue with the ship's computer - her own voice throughout TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

Lee Poulsen

I decided to give it a hard one (because I really want to know more about this species than what Google gives me), and ChatGPT got it wrong twice. Google did better (but not much better). At least Google got it right.

ChatGPT:
What is Cearanthes fuscoviolacea

Cearanthes fuscoviolacea is a species of orchid, a type of flowering plant. Orchids are known for their diverse and attractive blooms, and this species is no exception. C. fuscoviolacea is native to the Neotropics and is found in South and Central America, including countries such as Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, and Colombia. This species typically grows as an epiphyte, meaning that it grows on other plants for support but does not parasitize them. Its flowers are distinctive, with a deep purple color and a unique shape, making it a popular choice for cultivation among orchid enthusiasts.

Describe the bulb species Cearanthes fuscoviolacea

I apologize, but Cearanthes fuscoviolacea is not a bulb species. It is an epiphytic orchid species, which means that it grows on other plants for support but does not parasitize them. Orchids are a large and diverse group of flowering plants, with over 25,000 known species and many more still waiting to be discovered. They are known for their showy, often fragrant blooms, which can range in color from pale whites and yellows to bright pinks and purples. C. fuscoviolacea, in particular, is known for its deep purple flowers, which are highly prized among orchid enthusiasts.

Google:
(Kew)Amaryllidaceae > Cearanthes
Cearanthes fuscoviolacea Ravenna
First published in Onira 5: 11 (2000)
This species is accepted
The native range of this species is Brazil (Ceará). It is a bulbous geophyte and grows primarily in the seasonally dry tropical biome.
Pasadena, California, USA - USDA Zone 10a
Latitude 34°N, Altitude 1150 ft/350 m

Arnold

Lee

It is a parasite but not the kind most folks think of:

There's actually three types of parasitism

Mutualism- both benefit.  The bird pecking fleas off the back of a buffalo

Commensalism- one benefits and the other not harmed- The fish ( Remora) that hitch a ride on a shark to get bits of food at a shark kill, also can get some protection form the shark.

Parasitism- one harmed and one benefits  The good old human tapeworm

Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

Googling: Cearanthes fuscoviolacea "epiphyte"
Gets next to no results. So where is ChatGPT getting its input from.

Leo

I don't think AI chatbots need to be good at all. They only need to be good enough for people who won't check the response for accuracy.

kisaac

My recent conversation with chatGPT:  
(Subtitle: we're #2!)

[KEN]
Hey chatbot, can you give me a scientific definition of a geophyte?

[ChatGPT]
A geophyte is a type of perennial plant that survives through unfavorable seasons or periods by storing their nutrients in underground storage organs such as bulbs, corms, rhizomes, or tubers. These storage organs allow geophytes to remain dormant during adverse conditions and regrow when conditions improve. Geophytes are commonly found in areas with a pronounced seasonal climate and are adapted to cope with extended periods of drought, heat, and cold. They are an important component of many ecosystems and play a crucial role in maintaining biodiversity.

[Ken]
Is there a club or society I can join that covers the topic of geophytes?

[ChatGPT]
Yes, there are several clubs and societies that focus on the topic of geophytes. Here are a few options:

1.  The North American Rock Garden Society (NARGS) has a Geophyte Study Group that is dedicated to the study and cultivation of geophytes. The group publishes a newsletter, organizes events, and provides resources on geophytes. You can find more information about the group on the NARGS website: https://nargs.org/geophyte-study-group

2.  The Pacific Bulb Society is an international organization dedicated to the cultivation and conservation of bulbs, including geophytes. The society publishes a quarterly journal, organizes events, and provides resources on bulb cultivation. You can find more information about the society on their website: https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/

3.  The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) has a Bulb Committee that is dedicated to the study and conservation of bulbs, including geophytes. The committee publishes a newsletter and provides resources on bulb cultivation. You can find more information about the committee on the RHS website: https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/bulbs/bulb-committee

4.  The International Bulb Society is an organization dedicated to the study and cultivation of bulbs, including geophytes. The society publishes a quarterly journal, organizes events, and provides resources on bulb cultivation. You can find more information about the society on their website: https://www.bulbsociety.org/

[ChatGPT]
I hope this helps you find a group that interests you!

~Ken
Member: : Pacific Bulb Society

kisaac

#4 (above) is totally puzzling, as the IBS hasn't existed for a decade, and their website link  the chatbot quoted is a parked domain?
~Ken
Member: : Pacific Bulb Society