moving Boophone and Burnsvigia bulbs

Started by Bulbous, February 18, 2023, 01:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulbous

Unfortunately my little bulb garden has been overtaken by these very large plants (at least from a bulb perspective).  They are becoming overcrowded and I simply have to move a couple.  I understand they do not take kindly to moving them.  I have one disticha which is now dormant and about the size of a softball.  Any thoughts about moving it to a new location in the garden?  You can contact me privately.

My Brunsvigia bosmaniae's leaves have also covered a lot of ground and they will need attention too.

Jim
Santa Barbara

Uli

Hello Jim,

If your Boophone is dormant now it is summer growing, right? So it would start into growth soon. I think this would be a good moment to move it. You are right that these bulbs do not like being transplanted but the outcome very much depends on how you do it. 
If you dig them up and replant immediately without letting the roots dry there will be already less damage. A large bulb will have a very deep root system and the basal plate of the bulb may sit much deeper in the ground than you think. So it is extremely important to dig around the bulb at a distance and deep enough to avoid mechanical damage to the bulb itself. If you use a fork instead of a spade you do much less damage to the roots. Try to severe the roots as little as possible. Never pull on the bulb to get it out of the ground, it might separate from the basal plate.
Replanting needs a big hole so that the roots can be spread out without bending them. This is best done with two persons, one holding the bulb at the original level and the other gently filling the hole with soil avoiding cavities between the roots. Water well once after planting and then leave it alone.
Good luck!
Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

Bulbous

Thanks Uli.  I'm going to move the bulb into a large pot.

Michael Mace

Hi, Jim.

I've had the best luck digging fall-blooming South African Amaryllids in the fall, just after their normal blooming time, when the leaves are just starting to grow. They seem to recover quickly if moved at that time. If moved at other times, it seems to produce much more of a setback.

And I agree with Uli: Do not let the roots dry out.

Good luck,

Mike
San Jose, CA

Bulbous

Thanks guys for your recommendations.  There is a problem! Rain! Who would have thought we have been getting inches of rain every few days and to dig in this mud would be tough.  We have a wonderful soil it drains quickly and in a few days it can be worked but this is crazy! Meanwhile my summer boophone is beginning to sprout. We are expecting another "river" Tuesday which is expected to dump another 3 inches.