Asphodelus acaulis pollen?

Started by illahe, February 22, 2023, 01:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illahe

Hello, 

Does anyone grow Asphodelus acaulis that sets seed? I have a division that is flowering nicely originally from Jane McGary. It doesn't set seed, despite a few attempts at hand pollination, even resorting to a cut stump treatment of the style. The clone I have seems to dehisce very little pollen, as if it never matures. 

If anyone has a flowering specimen and is willing to send some pollen I have bulbs to trade!

Mark Akimoff
illahe rare plants
Salem, OregonIMG_9836[1].jpg

Carlos

Hi, I know a person in France, but we might be late... I will ask him.

Carlos
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Uli

Bert Zaalberg from Massonia.com grows it and has the same problem. 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

Carlos

Hi, I am asking Bert. The problem is for how long are the plants in bloom... If you email me with your adress I will give you Bert's so you can swap pollen. I would then ask Bert for some seeds.

carlesjbox (at) gmail.com

Carlos
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

illahe

Thanks Carlos, DM sent. This plant has quite a few flowers on it so I have a little time, even if I could get some and potentially freeze it for next year it's worth a try! I need to get seed on this. 

Uli, I'll look up massonia!

Thanks,

Mark

illahe

Along these lines, has anyone on here played with Gibberellic Acid to overcome self incompatibility? I've been meaning to try some for dormant seeds, just wondered if anyone has experience with it in the pollinating game?

Thanks,

Mark

Uli

No, not with gibberelic acid. But in some genera (Hippeastrum and Albuca) I had success with microwaved pollen. The instructions are here: https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Microwave
It did so far not work with Aloe pollen.
Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

illahe

Thanks Uli!

I'm going to give the microwave idea a try and also have some gibberellic acid coming to give that a shot as well. I'll report back any findings.

Mark