Lilium parvum and Lilium washingtonianum

Started by PaulSiskind, February 23, 2023, 05:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulSiskind

Hello:  I live in NY, and I like to grow Lilium species.  I've been trying for a few years to find a source of just a few bulbs of L. parvum and L. washingtonianum, but haven't had any luck.  I'm trying some L. washingtonianum from seed, but I haven't had any luck with Lilies from seed so far, so I'm not holding out much hope.  I haven't found a source of seed for L. parvum.

Two questions for this list:

1) Does anyone know of a source where I buy either of these?  I've found a few wholesale sources, but they won't sell retail to an individual (no matter how hard I've pleaded). 

2) I've finally found one retailer in Oakland CA who has some L. parvum in stock.  Even though they're dormant, he won't do mail order for me.  So, I'm trying to find someone who lives or works near Oakland, who might be willing to buy 5-6 of them for me, pack them, and ship them to me.  Of course, I'll send you payment beforehand, or reimburse afterwards if you prefer. 

If you can help out, I'd appreciate it.  If you'd prefer to respond by e-mail rather than on this forum: paul@paulsiskind.com

Thanks.

Robin Hansen

I've grown L. parvum from seed - nice little lily. I wasn't nice to it, so it hasn't flowered and I still don't know if it got lost in the move. Lilium washingtonianum - I doubt anyone has bulbs. But seed is available fairly often from various seed exchanges, not so much from commercial sources. The seeds germinate without much problem and I have a tray full right now. I have mature bulbs of what are either washingtonianum or a wash. hybrid; they haven't bloomed so I'm waiting. If you saw where they grow in the Cascades, as I have several times, you'd understand why they're a pain. Often they're growing up through other shrubs in sun on well-drained slopes...

About all I can suggest is researching their habitat and trying to duplicate it.
Robin Hansen
President, PBS

Martin Bohnet

Well there's Deno stating germination isn't all that straight forward:

QuoteL. pardalinum is part of a group of liles from the west coast of U.S. that have
their own unique hypogeal pattern. The group includes L. kelleyanum, pardalinum,
parvum, shastense, washingtonianum, and probably the other western U.S. species.
Seed was sown in September and left outdoors until a year later. It was then placed at
40 whereupon 80 .90% germ. in 2nd w. On shifting to 70 3 m later, the single true leaf
develops. The bulb formation is similar to the L. michiganense group in that the bulb
forms inside or barely outside the seed coat.
Sorry, no first hand experiences with that group. What I generally hate about lilium is to offer a single leaf for any slug to munch away, effectively killing lots of seedlings.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Jan Jeddeloh

Paul, what nursery or grower in Oakland?  We got back on Tuesday from visiting our son in Berkeley and fly down there once or twice a year.    He actually lives on the border of Berkeley and Oakland.  He unfortunately doesn't have a car and works full time so is unlikely to be able to pick up and mail bulbs to you but I might (no promises) be able to in the future.  

Where do you live?  My sense if most of these Western American lilies like to stay in the west.  

Jan

PaulSiskind

Hi Jan:  Thanks for the reply. 

East Bay Wilds in Oakland has a few L. parvum crocatum.  Luckily, another kind person in PBS is heading there this week and will pick up some for me.

Yes, I've also heard that many Lilies from the West Coast are temperamental and might not do well in the East.  On the other hand, I've had mixed success with some other Lilium species that aren't "supposed to" to do well in my area, so I'm often willing to try pushing the boundaries and see if I can get them to grow.

Arnold

Hi Paul

If you interested I have some small bulbs of Lilium sargentiae.

I'm in New Jersey and grow them outdoors in the summer but put in the cold greenhouse for winters.

Image attached from this past year
Arnold T.
North East USA

illahe

IMG_6386.jpgHi Paul, 

One nursery in Oregon has offered L. washingtonianum before  but it before but it looks to be unavailable on the current list, https://www.sevenoaksnativenursery.com/native-plants/perennials-and-bulbs/lilium-washingtonianum/

My guess they are selling seedlings, it does germinate readily here but the bulbs never seem to gain any size at my low elevation, 620'. 

Here is a pic of it in the Oregon Cascades, only an hours drive from my house, and a 20 minute hike to see wonderful populations of it. The fragrance is powerful on warm sunny days in the mountains, it's such a great plant but so hard to grow! I'll plan to make a trip up to this spot to get some seeds for an exchange this season. Maybe someone will unlock the secret. 

Mark
IMG_6386.jpg

PaulSiskind

Quote from: Arnold on February 27, 2023, 04:30:05 AMHi Paul

If you interested I have some small bulbs of Lilium sargentiae.

I'm in New Jersey and grow them outdoors in the summer but put in the cold greenhouse for winters.

Image attached from this past year
Hi Arnold:  Thanks for your comment.  Yes, I might be interested in some bulbs of L. sargentiae.  Please e-mail me at paul@paulsiskind.com, and we can arrange it.  Thanks.

PaulSiskind

Quote from: illahe on February 27, 2023, 10:18:27 AMIMG_6386.jpgHi Paul,

One nursery in Oregon has offered L. washingtonianum before  but it before but it looks to be unavailable on the current list, https://www.sevenoaksnativenursery.com/native-plants/perennials-and-bulbs/lilium-washingtonianum/

My guess they are selling seedlings, it does germinate readily here but the bulbs never seem to gain any size at my low elevation, 620'.

Here is a pic of it in the Oregon Cascades, only an hours drive from my house, and a 20 minute hike to see wonderful populations of it. The fragrance is powerful on warm sunny days in the mountains, it's such a great plant but so hard to grow! I'll plan to make a trip up to this spot to get some seeds for an exchange this season. Maybe someone will unlock the secret.

Mark
IMG_6386.jpg
Hi Mark:  Thanks for replying

Yes, Seven Oaks has occasionally offered both L. washingtonianum and L. parvum in the past.  However, they only sell wholesale, and don't sell retail to individuals.  (I've asked!)

That's a great picture you posted.  I've heard from a number of people that even though L. washingtonianum germinates well and easily from seed, it's hard to grow it outside of its native habitat.  I've heard others also suggest that elevation might have something to do with it.  I'm not enough of a botanist to know if elevation itself can be a factor, or if it's a cofactor or coincidence with other factors.