Freesia?

Started by Leo, March 06, 2023, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

This sprouted long ago from Silverhill seed. Pack rats continually take labels. It is in a 3"/7.2cm diameter container. It is the most sensitive winter rainfall bulb in my collection to underwatering; if I forget once, it goes dormant for the season. This is about the longest I've managed to keep it in leaf, which is probably why it hasn't flowered. I tore the top, longest leaf while removing it from the bench for this photo.

Uli

Are the leaves pleated? It could be a Babiana. I have had single other seedlings coming up in a batch of seedlings from Silverhill seed. 
But with so many different South African bulbs it is impossible to tell what it is without flowers.
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

Arnold

Leaves are not reminiscent of a Freesia.  Most of the Freesia's I've grown have flat leaves emerging fan like.
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

Freesia leaves, just now, with a flower spike appearing

Leo

Thank you. I have some Freesias but I haven't grown all of them. This doesn't look like any other Freesia I've grown.

Each leaf is somewhat dull grey, with a very narrow, shiny and bright green midrib running down the center. The midrib doesn't feel raised but it is very narrow.

The tag in the pot saying Freesia may mean that was once in this pot. I wouldn't write just the genus on a label of freshly sown seed.

David Pilling

Freesias are a great thing. There are some other leaves visible on the wiki Freesia but it is not particularly good for leaf spotting.

After that, it's another victory for book-keeping (tags) over flair. Or entropy.

Martin Bohnet

If it is a freesia, then from the anomatheca-subfamily, maybe Freesia laxa
or Freesia grandiflora
- they tend to have less compact leaf fans.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)