cold frames and mesh frames

Started by ksayce, May 07, 2023, 03:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pilling

Quote from: CG100 on May 14, 2023, 05:42:24 AMMissed that....

ICI Darvic.

With uPVC cladding, it depends, I have seen it pitted and disintigrating. But on the other hand I know of some that has been in place for 30 years and is as good as new - not just the looks - depends on the quality and material. (neighbouring house, wood underneath rotted, cladding fell off, new wood and then cladding returned to place).

For plastic fencing "eco composite" seems to be the latest thing, using recycled plastic and wood, available in a range of colours and with a 25 year guarantee, it won't rot, it's lightweight. Has anyone used it for gardening.

CG100

Darvic (bird) rings were made from Darvic as it was reckoned to be "indestructable". But sadly, not so.

All plastic detriorate because the C-C bond energy is around the same as the energy of a UV photon - an exceedingly unfortunate coincedence, but fact. UV absorbers help, but they are slowly destroyed - they are especially effective in what would otherwise be very short-life polymers - PE in particular - try some with and without as greenhouse insulation.

More than anything else, deterioration of plastic will depend on aspect - put it on a north-facing aspect and it will last, put it on a south-facing....................... (in the N hemisphere).

Adding cheap wood (as a filler) to expensive plastic (even as reclaim) is simply economy and nothing to do with longevity.

25 year guarantee - who is going to claim? I very strongly suspect that the wooden fence at my parents' place was far older and still functional.

MarcR

Wood can be totally avoided. Aluminum 1/8" (2.75mm) flat stock is available in 1/2" X10' (11mmx 2.64m) lengths. These can be cut to desired dimensions.  The mesh is sandwiched between 2 pieces. Vertical and horizontal elements of each panel can either be screwed together directly or joined with mending plates.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

petershaw

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I will continue my planning with the goal of having a beautiful area where I can place summer dormant bulbs (and maybe a few alpines) without having to worry about having to move them around seasonally.

I will not have any issue with weight, I have lots of 1-1/2" square steel tubing laying around to build the subfloor and legs. It might rust but not in my lifetime and its easy enough to apply rust encapsulator and weld-thru primer prior to welding it together.

I also have a fair amount of cedar siding that is left over from our recent home repair of the 60 year old south wall.

I can keep the area dry overhead though we don't get much rain here during the summer or into our hot fall season.

I wonder how my sifted pumice would work? I usually sift out the "sand" stuff and toss it, keeping the other 3 sizes sorted for various seeding or planting.

I will also need prior approval from my spouse, we have limited area and I am always encroaching on her horticultural interests  :D

MarcR

Preasure treated Redwood placed on slate stepping stones at ground level, with a mesh bottom will last 100 years and keep the critters out.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

janemcgary

Peter wrote, " I wonder how my sifted pumice would work? I usually sift out the "sand" stuff and toss it, keeping the other 3 sizes sorted for various seeding or planting."
I don't recommend doing this. I make a point of buying unscreened pumice, although screened product is available as well. I think the fines provide a helpful amount of nutrients. I have better results in seedling pots with the unscreened pumice. Also, the fines, like those in sand, retain moisture, which (despite some opinions) is not a bad thing if you irrigate carefully and routinely. It is possible that young plants grown in a mixed-size medium will transfer better to the open garden; I'm sure we've all had the experience of losing purchased plants grown in a very non-retentive medium. One sometimes should bare-root such plants and repot them for a season in something closer to what they will encounter in the garden.

Cyclanthera

Reading this thread and saw various comments about creosote.  Here in the western US, we have a widespread desert plant, Larrea tridentata, commonly called creosote due to the pungent smell of the resins deposited on its leaves.  I find it really wonderful after a rain.  Extracts from this plant are used in shampoos and soaps. I can't imagine anyone thinking the other kind of creosote would be a suitable shampoo ingredient!