Eremurus possibly?

Started by lpw, May 04, 2023, 10:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lpw

Could this possibly be EREMURUS Stenophylus (aka Bungei), Foxtail Lily, Desert Candle?
I bought  3 large starfish-shaped roots for $8 from easytogrowbulbs.com and planted in Nov 2014 in a part-shade part of my Berkeley, CA, garden, but I haven't seen them since then. If so, this would be a miracle revival from the supposed-dead, 9 years later. But it doesn't look sturdy and big enough. I haven't planted anything else that would look vaguely like this plant. So what is it?

Uli

Hello,

Happy to answer your question but it would be helpful if you could send a picture of the whole plant, foliage included if there is any and some kind of scale to be able to judge the size of the plant. And also a picture with open and not closed flowers.
Uli 
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

lpw

I hope these photos (in addition) are helpful?

The top of the flower stalk is over two feet high.

Jan Jeddeloh

Could it be a bulbinella?  

Arnold

Starfish shaped root stock leans towards an Eremurus
Arnold T.
North East USA

Mikent

I bought  3 large starfish-shaped roots for $8 from easytogrowbulbs.com and planted in Nov 2014 in a part-shade part of my Berkeley, CA, garden, but I haven't seen them since then. If so, this would be a miracle revival from the supposed-dead, 9 years later.

It was a starfish-shaped rootstock in contention 9 years ago, Arnold. No idea what rootstock this sudden emergence is connected to...

Martin Bohnet

The leaf photos are still not brilliant, but I'd expect something more fleshy for Eremurus, while 2 feet are a bit on the small side, eremurus would be closer to 2 m. I'd also lean towards Bulbinella or Bulbine
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

lpw

Thanks for the opinions. (I'd given up hope of a reply.) I agree that it looks more like a bulbine or bulbinella.

Arnold

Mike

Bulbs have a habit of sulking when moved.  The Eremurus have a minimal tunic and I'd guest prone to drying.
Arnold T.
North East USA